HO Round Table or Transfer Table Which Way to Go?

Started by lwmlwm44, March 25, 2009, 01:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2083

______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

pdlethbridge

Sort of makes my 90' turntable and 3 stall puny. But its on 2 feet wide and tracks are on both side for a loop.

GN.2-6-8-0

To be honest that roundhouse and TT belong to a friend of mine,it was built to showcase his Union Pacific and Pennsy brass steamer collections.
Below is another Roundhouse (scratch built) under construction on our AMRS club layout.
It will have a heavy repairs backshop but no transfer table  simply thru tracks.the turntable also is a 135ft Diamond Scale unit with full indexing.
One member doing all the work....'s his baby  :o

Rocky Lives

BestSnowman

Quote from: pdlethbridge on April 03, 2009, 10:56:49 AM
Sort of makes my 90' turntable and 3 stall puny. But its on 2 feet wide and tracks are on both side for a loop.

Thats still a nice turntable, I was going to put something like that on mine but it would have dominated all of the remaining space on my layout.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

pdlethbridge

It was a walthers 90' that I motorized. Works like a charm. Much better than my brothers 4 times more expensive Bowser unit.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: pdlethbridge on April 03, 2009, 03:54:49 PM
It was a walthers 90' that I motorized. Works like a charm. Much better than my brothers 4 times more expensive Bowser unit.

You actually motorized one of the 90' Walthers Turntable kits and it worked correctly? 
Pacific Northern

pdlethbridge

I highly modified the power pick ups for the bridge track and have very good power pick up. I put a digitrax dh 123 decoder on the motor and it runs as smooth as glass. I adjusted the CV's for max top speed and acceleration and it works like a charm. There is a digitrax auto reverser controlling it and there is no problem doing a 180 with the polarity.

rustyrails

Model railroading is a hobby in which the axiom "Less is More" is often true.  Engine facilities take up HUGE amounts of space as the pictures show quite clearly.  If all you want to do is turn a locomotive, consider a small wye.  A wye big enough to turn small steamers or four axle diesels will fit in the corner of a layout made of 2ft wide shelves.  MRC makes an auto reversing module that will work with any DCC system and handle the polarity for you.
Rusty

RAM

You see ads all the time with a Lionel steam locomotive with the tender backways.  I feel the same way when I see locomotives in a roundhouse backwards.  The pool workers that must work in a roundhouse that is full of smoke.