Air Horn for a car (even though it isn't a car)

Started by kevin2083, March 24, 2009, 09:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2083

I was thinking of putting one of these:
http://truckairhorns.com/images/jepg/k3la_800.jpg

on this:

what are your thoughts? I wasn't planning on getting that horn specifically, but another 3-chime horn. 

edit: fixed red "x" in box
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

Stephen D. Richards

Saw one on an H1 Hummer.  WOW.  Makes a lot of noise.  lol   Stephen

Tim

Kevin

It is illegal to put a railroad air horn on a car.

It is also illegal to put a truck horn on a car.

Also where are you going to get the 90# air pressure?

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

Santa Fe buff

Are you able to provide a link to your horn picture? It appears hot-linking is either not allowed by the picture, or it had some sort of problem. You picture is nothing more then an indent with a red 'X'.

Anyway, I would say go for it if you wish. Although, I believe you should consider local laws as well as federal. If you have any questions on things you don't think we may or may not help you with, I recommend this place:

http://www.hornwhistleboard.com/

Keep in mind a place to stow your equipment on the Jeep that comes with the horn. Also, Tim, makes a good point. If you really want a horn bad, you better be good at concealing it.

Good luck,
and try not to 'blow' anyone apart.

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

Garfield

http://www.iowa80.com/DirectionsWEB/webcart_category3.php?catid=HORNS&cart_truckType=
They have what ya need.
I have heard them every bit as loud as a train.  If you get the mechanical valve instead of the electric switch you can vary they tone and volume.

kevin2083

There's lots of space under and in the Jeep to mount stuff like a compressor, tank, and wiring. As far as I've been able to come up with, as long as it is under 90 DB, (and it isn't used unnecessarily) it is legal. The laws are very vague and leave a lot unclear. ??? Even if I do get it and mount it, I sure won't be running it at the full 145 psi and 152 DB.... I wasn't planning on getting it to just randomly blow at passing cars; people around here seem to have problems hearing my little horn as they're on the phone changing clothes in the wrong lane coming towards me. I tend to drive about 1000 miles a week, so I get to deal with lots and lots of stupidity. Now to think of a way to keep mud out of the bells......

Thanks to all for the input.
Kevin

This is a bit closer to what I was looking at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MEGA-TRIPLE-152-DB-TRAIN-LOCOMOTIVE-HORN-AIR-SYSTEM_W0QQitemZ230308643902QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item230308643902&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
I'm surprised there isn't a disclaimer saying the train isn't included......
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

bevernie

GREETINGS!! ;DHow about taking the sound module out of a toy train (gotten at GOODWILL) and mounting it in your mailbox?  :oThere is a switch mounted such that when it is opened, the whistle blows and the train that is mounted on top starts rolling!! ::)
     This is all powered with a (solar charged) pair of AA batteries!! ;)
     The mailman and everyone who has seen it really like it!! :D
                                                                                           THANX!!
                                                         8)                                 Ernie
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

Jhanecker2

Knew someone who had a air horn mounted in his VW back in 1969/1970 . He tooted it in the Parking Lot  at  IIT .  He had an auxiliary switch  to  turn it on and a selector switch to trigger it with his regular car horn button , impressively loud it was . I am not sure if it is or was totally legal than . It would also have been poor judgement to use it around semi-drivers  or the Police for that matter . Chicago Police are noted for their sense of humor.     Wonder whatever became of him  ?     John II.

glennk28

quite a few truckers on Interstate 5 have locomotive air horns on their rigs--I hear them from time to time--the highway is about a half-mile from here.   gj