Number of members posting on this board down?

Started by Pacific Northern, March 28, 2009, 06:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

Are there any stats available showing the number of posting on this board?

It appears to me that there has been quite a drop in the number of members posting on the site. The core group remains but newer members seen to be down substantially.

Another model railroader site the Zealot also has lost a lot of their regular posters as well.

Maybe it is just that Spring is coming and members are busy doing other things?
Pacific Northern

Yampa Bob

Stats are on the main index, topics are averaging 9 posts per thread for this section.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php#1

Membership is now over 4800. Though the "core group" is the most active, I am very pleased to see so many new members contributing. There is a tremendous untapped resource out there, we just need to encourage new members to get more involved.

I am also amazed at how many addicts like me stay up until the wee hours. Sometimes it's darned hard to log off and go to bed.

By the way, one thing has been on my mind lately, this is as good a place as any to express my thoughts. We should never, never assume or underestimate a "newbie's" skills, knowledge, background, abilities or ingenuity by an otherwise mundane question about trains.  The inquirer could well be an engineer, college professor, scientist, and/or master craftsman who is simply venturing into unfamiliar waters. After all, model railroading is not "rocket science" reserved for the elite, it is a fun hobby for everyone to enjoy.

Frankly, I don't like the word "newbie" and never consider a new member to be as such.  The word has a connotation of "ignorance" of a subject, we should all endeavor to "speak" to people as if we were conversing face to face.

I like to see new members "toot their own horn" by elaborating on their  background. That is a big help in answering a question or concern.  8)
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

WGL

Novice & neophyte are better English than newbie.

Yampa Bob

Excellent choice of words.  I looked up "Novice" in the dictionary, the first definition is "a beginner", but the second one blew me away:  "One who has entered a religious order, but has not yet taken the final vows".  

Well, whatever motivates us, model railroading is certainly good therapy.  8)

CNE Runner

Gosh, I try to run my "mouth" as much as I can on the forum. It is tough to add a post faster than Yampa Bob (I swear he uses voice recognition software). My theory is if I don't know the answer...I can always make one up!

All kidding aside (Bob, I was kidding!), I guess many of us are starting our other spring activities. I do read any threads that interest me - and avoid adding comments to an already loaded one. Today, I chanced to visit the Model Railroader forum and read an interesting thread that already had over 50 posts!! You guessed it: most of the posts repeated the same ideas over and over again.

Have a great spring/summer everyone and let us know if you are traveling through Alabama this August as I will need help moving the layout from the garage to the ex-guest room (through a window no less).

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

SteamGene

Ray - What part of Alabama?  We may be about 50 miles SE of Bessemer in Alabama. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Yampa Bob

Ray,
Is that something like: "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull___"?    :D  8) 

BestSnowman

I haven't been around that long, but this forum definitely has much higher quality contributors
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

SteamGene

Speaking of missing members - what happend to Lanny?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Guilford Guy

I suspect some of the teenagers will be out for the next couple months studying for finals.
Alex

CNE Runner

Hey Gene - we are in beautiful Guntersville. I was only kidding about "roping" [that was for Bob] anyone into moving the layout. I do want to thank you. Oh, we will be vendoring (assuming there is such a word) the Gadsden Model Railroad Show on Saturday, April 11 (9:00am to 4:00pm). [Nice little plug and I am not even a member.]If you have the time, stop by and look for the vendor who is almost a double for Robert Redford...if you have to ask - that's me. The show address is: The Gadsden Convention Center, 344 South First Street, Gadsden, AL. BestSnowman - thanks for the compliment; but I'm not so sure of the others. Bob - all of us psychologists specialize in baffling with....

This forum is, far and away, the friendliest and most helpful I have been fortunate enough to be connected with. Lots of kidding around, serious assistance, and encouragement to ask those questions for which you need answers. Check around the Internet...you'll see what I mean.

All the best everybody (wait for it...wait for it)...ROLL TIDE!!
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

SteamGene

Sorry - I'm not in Alabama, but we may be taking grandkids to a time share in Alabama this summer.  My wife's middle sister lives outside of Bessemer and the time share is 50 miles from Bessemer close to the Talladega National Forest - south.   
Gene
Chief Brass Hat