News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO couplers

Started by peri, March 27, 2009, 11:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peri

Hi to all , I'm a beginner for railroad (and in the forum) and I wish have a little help.
I have some broken couplers in (HO) passenger coaches (McKinley Explorer) and I don't know the type of couplers to choose for replacing them (mark II, medium shank?). ...

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank's

Perikles

SteamGene

If you need to replace broken couplers, then buy Kadee #5s.  You will never have a broken coupler again. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

OkieRick

Will a #5 fit on the back bottom of my 2-10-2 tender?  It's a small box & screw.  Like this... (thanks Yampa Bob)

What size to replace that rear coupler?

Okie?

Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Yampa Bob

I just took the cover off a USRA Medium, the Kadee #148 Whisker is a drop in replacement. It's the same as #5 except with built in springs.

The way the box is molded I don't think there's room for the #5 spring. I had to back off the screw a bit to keep from binding the coupler.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

SteamGene

A number 5 will fit.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Michigan Railfan

Well, now I have a question. I read on another topic that you could'nt just drop in a Bachmann E-Z mate coupler into the same coupler box as the Horn Hook couplers. I have many cars and loco's with Horn Hook couplers, and I want to replace them. Anyone know anything about this, and what type of coupler I should use?

Guilford Guy

Snip off the coupler box, and glue in a Kadee coupler box with a kadee coupler.
Alex

SteamGene

If you are going to replace a coupler, go to Kaydee.  It's the safest way to go.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Yampa Bob

Gene,
You are correct. I just calipered the shanks at the pivot, #148 is .055" thick, #5 is .050" thick. I don't have any #5 springs, but guess they must be about .005" thick, so either one will work. For me, the 148 assembly is much easier to install.

I cut off/out the factory molded box, and replace with a complete #148 assembly.  I drill and tap the floor and fasten the box with a 2-56 machine screw.

A pair of precision flush cutting end nippers does a great job in removing the old box, which is sometimes recessed.
http://www.vigoroptical.com/46058.html

Contact info.
http://www.vigoroptical.com/info.html

SteamGene

I'm starting to use the #148, though I have plenty of #5s.  Accurail sent me a bunch of their new C&O gons and the coupler pocket does not accept the spring of the #5 easily.  So - try the #148.  No disrespect to any other knuckle coupler; I'll use them as long as they work - but when they go bad, Kadee takes their place.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

OkieRick

Quote from: Yampa Bob on March 28, 2009, 03:19:59 AM
I just took the cover off a USRA Medium, the Kadee #148 Whisker is a drop in replacement. It's the same as #5 except with built in springs.

The way the box is molded I don't think there's room for the #5 spring. I had to back off the screw a bit to keep from binding the coupler.

Somewhere during the Sound addition to that 2-10-2 I lost the screw, box and coupler.  I need all the works.  I haven't purchased Kadee yet - is there a box & screw for the #148?

thanks

OkieRick

Quote from: IndianaJones12 on March 28, 2009, 03:16:02 PM
Well, now I have a question. I read on another topic that you could'nt just drop in a Bachmann E-Z mate coupler into the same coupler box as the Horn Hook couplers. I have many cars and loco's with Horn Hook couplers, and I want to replace them. Anyone know anything about this, and what type of coupler I should use?

I changed all but 4 of my hook-horn cars to knuckle couplers using Scenemaster Couplers:

10 Pair
Walthers Part # 433-1427, p. 259 Walthers 2009 HO Scale Reference
HO scale, $7.98, currently in stock at Walthers

* Works with All Other Knuckle Couplers * Constructed of Tough Engineering Plastic * Magnetic Action * Easy Upgrade for Older Life-Like Train Set Cars

They're cheap and work.  Fish out your Hook-Horn & slip these in. 

luck-
Rick

Michigan Railfan

Thanks Rick. I'll have to count how many cars and loco's I have that are equipped with Horn-Hook, and see how many of those I have to order.

RAM

One other thing.  If you have truck mounted couplers.  You a better off doing a little extra work and body mount the couplers.

Yampa Bob