News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

3-Axle Trucks

Started by WGL, March 28, 2009, 02:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGL

I removed a 50' flat car from my train, because it was dragging, instead of rolling.  Then, I realized that it has 3-axle trucks.  None of my other freight cars has them, not even my 75' well cars.  The flat car is second-hand, so I can't be sure that the trucks are original equipment.  Has anyone else encountered freight cars with 3-axle trucks?

Yampa Bob

I've never seen a 50' flat car with 3 axle trucks. If the distance from the truck mount screw to end of car is 7/8" or less then two wheel trucks should work.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

WGL

Thanks, Bob, for the confirmation that this is unusual.  The distance is 1".  When I get some two-wheel trucks, I'll try them. 

SteamGene

Some flat cars designed for very heavy loads had three axle trucks.  The dragging can probably be cured by reaming out the journal boxes.  With you finger, spin each wheel set.  If any stop sooner than the others - there's your problem.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

the Bach-man

Dear Bob,
Micro-Mark has a "Truck Tuner" which will free up any reluctant wheelsets:
http://www.micromark.com/SearchResult.aspx?deptIdFilter=0&searchPhrase=truck+tuner
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Yampa Bob

I agree, I have two of them, an essential tool for any modeler.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

WGL

Gene, the middle axles are right over the screws holding the trucks in place.  They look as if they might touch the screws.  I could not tighten the screws much.  One middle axle moves back & forth an unusual amount in the journal boxes.  I removed it & found the holes wider than for the other axles.  I pushed the car on the track without that middle axle, & it rolled a little.  I removed the other middle axle, & it rolled better still, but not as well as it should.

Bachmann, thanks for the link.