News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

smoke generation

Started by MarkS, March 29, 2009, 07:17:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

I just purchased a Bachmann steam loco, with smoke generation. However it does not seem to give off any smoke. I've tried it for ~ 5 min at near full speed.The retailer said it should only work at full voltage. I did not want to run it at full speed for extended periods as I have a few tight curves and turnouts.
Is this correct, does it mean I'll only get smoke when the loco is going full pelt around my layout? The documentation does not mention this as a requirement.
Thanks in advancefor any advice.

Tim

Mark

Did you put smoke fluid in the generator?

There is a small plastic vial of smoke fluid in the box.

A few drops down the stack will do.  Don't overfill.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

MarkS

Thanks Tim
I did add the fluid, 3 drops at first ran it  for ~ 5min and nothing. Then another 3 drops and similar results.
Mark

SteamGene

I hope you are aware that the smoke is generally a detriment to your layout.  It's oil and when it cools and falls back down, it leaves a residue.  This gums up the tracks and makes the scenery tacky. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

James in FL

OK SteamGenie, at you instance we will go though this again.

Look at photos of your favorite track side structures dating back to the steam age.
Please point out to us the photos of these structures that are not covered in soot, directly related to the railroad.

The oil residue, on the track, is a good thing, up to a point.

Just as any supposed conductive oil, it permeates the micro surface structure of the rail head, inhibiting corrosion/oxidation at that level. Cleaning the rail head with isopropyl only removes the surface contamination.
Oils penetrate the surface structure of the rails, inhibiting the oxidation where it originates, below the surface.

This is why some perceive some certain oils to be conductive, when truly they are not.

If you can inhibit the oxidation of the rail head, at the micro sub-surface contact point, you are ahead of the game in so far as "clean track".

Certain oils do this.
Beware, that does not make them "conductive" oils.

All that said,

If you want your trackside structures to appear as they would have during the steam era, they will be coated with soot. This is easily achieved by using smoke units on your model railroad

The residue from smoke units will quickly coat "everything" on the layout with soot.

Not a problem, if you're a "proto head" but rather a benefit.

Excess oil on the railhead will need to be removed, as it may inhibit electrical contact.

Cross that bridge when you get there.

Guilford Guy

Not much of soot... Its just a clear film, not a black soot.
Alex

Paul W.

Mark,
Is this a large scale loco? If so, make sure the power switch is "on". This is behind the front boiler plate.

You may also need to add more than just 3 drops to get it smoking. And in case you haven't noticed, smoke is a touchy subject on this board. Some hate it, others don't. Honestly, growing up with O guage, we ran smoke all the time and never had any issues. To this day when my neice and nephew come over, they want to see smoke. They don't care if it looks like a real steam engine or not, they just like the smoke. You do have to run your train at a farily quick pace to get it to smoke.

Good luck
Happy Steamin'

Paul

SteamGene

You know, JiF, I'm not insisting on a thing.  But as GG says, soot is black and oil residue is - slimy.  Big difference.  In addition, while soot may get on buildings. bridges, tunnel portals, etc, it doesn't stay on vehicles, animals, people, streams, trees, flower beds, walks, streets - get the picture? 
I've never heard anybody claim that smoke oil residue helps either electrical conduction or traction on track. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

jsmvmd

Dear Mark,

Did you try Tim's suggestion to look for the power switch?

My Annie produces a modest amount of smoke.  IMHO, I agree with other esteemed forum members and do not think it is worth it for indoor use.  Outdoors, go for it!

I have not used the Suethe unit in LS.  My MTH O gauge consolidation is a real smoker!

Best Wishes,

Jack