STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2019, 03:11:51 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  frame house colors of the 50s
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: frame house colors of the 50s  (Read 8146 times)
jsmvmd

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2009, 11:07:20 AM »

Dear Gene,

Western PA, including Pittsburgh had a lot of what we called "Insulbrick" which was a tar based siding shingle with small aggregate impregnated in the surface.  Our house was a dark dull gray. I have seen reds, etc that weathered ugly and dark.  One still sees a lot of this stuff, especially in the Mon Valley where my mother now lives.

Northern Indiana has lots of white frame houses, mostly small towns of 50 to 150 houses, sometimes less.  Bigger towns have a variety of clapboard, brick, etc.

Lancaster Co, PA has lots of limestone faced buildings.

Best Wishes,

Jack
Johnson Bar Jeff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2009, 11:15:33 AM »

Lancaster Co, PA has lots of limestone faced buildings.

That being the part of the state where I was raised, I feel qualified to add that that part of Pennsylvania also has a lot of buildings faced with a fake stone that my dad always called "formstone."

FWIW. ...
Yampa Bob

Y.V.R.R.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2009, 02:53:51 PM »

There was an article about using "Insulbrick" in a 2007 edition of Railroad Modeler Craftsman. I don't know who makes the stuff for HO scale, but it looked pretty neat on an old house for a layout. Very realistic.

I need to dig through my magazines to find the article. I don't subscribe but my son gave me a pile of back issues.

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: