News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N - scale Magazines

Started by larryG, March 26, 2007, 12:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryG

I am interested in opinions on the different magazines out there and which is the most useful to N scalers.

I would want to rate the magazine based on 1)best for newbie,2) Best for experienced n scaler and 1) best for n scale advertisers

So what's your opinion?

ben_not_benny

For the newbie, I'd say Model Railroader. Although a lot of it's stuff is HO, some parts are very simular or even the same. There's a lot of N scale thing on there too. They sometimes have some basic information to gat started.

For the regular N-scaler, N Scale Railroading is really useful. It shows a lot of great layouts and projects, all in N scale.

For advertisements, go for MR. It's probably the most popular model railroading magazine in the country.

GlennW

There are 2 mass media mags:
Model Railroader is the oldest, with the largest circulation of any. find it at many bookstores & decent mag racks. Many Nscalers complain about the lack of Nscale coverage. Their book division picks up Nscale articles from the magazine. It is the best Nscale primer.
Railroad Model Craftsman sometimes has articles of projects that can be done in Nscale. It can be found at some bookstores. Between the 2 can be your source to find the LHS & the club show that may be in your area. Some modelers use the listings to find other stores when on vacation.

Hundman's NScale magazine recently changed hands. It needed an upgrade to better business practice. N Scale Railroading is also very good. You may find them at a LHS. Both are bimonthly. Too bad they don't switch months so you could still have 12 months of NScale magazines!

Don't forget Ntrak & the Ntrak Newsletter. The magazines do a better job with projects & color photos. Ntrak standards are useful in producing modules that will work. No need to reinvent the wheel. The Newsletter can be your link to Nscale conventions and other Ntrak events.