News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4-8-4 sound

Started by tuba1st, March 29, 2009, 10:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuba1st

I have a new class J 4-8-4 Norfolk and Western DCC ready.  It is very impressive and I would like to add the sound chip.  Rather then go to the hobby store for installation I believe I can do it myself since I have built my own amateur radio and computers.  Where can I find that chip?

SteamGene

I'd suggest Tony's Train Xchange. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

Tuba,....I can suggest that you investigate the Tsunmami sound decoders for great sound and operational capabilities.    If possible,  you will want to try to hear the different sounds,  including the variety of whistles.   One warning,   the medium steam decoder sounds more like a heavy steam chuff than the heavy steam decoder which sounds more sticatto(sp?),  like a berkshire.

Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Yampa Bob

Hi Tuba
According to Soundtraxx, the correct decoder for the 4-8-4 is "Heavy Steam", of course as Bob mentioned you may prefer "Medium Steam". You can listen to sound samples here:
http://www.soundtraxx.com/dsd/tsunami/index.php?p=tsunamisound.php

To install a TSU-1000 in your 4-8-4 you will need a short adapter harness, from JST 9 pin to NMRA 8 pin plug. The adapter is made by Digitrax and obtainable from most hobby sources.

Suggest reviewing this thread for info regarding the JST plug and shrink wrap.
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,8263.0.html

Decoder, speaker, enclosure and adapter harness are available from several sources, such as Caboose Hobbies, Litchfield or Tonys Trains, we can post specific links for your preferred source if you need them.

I should also mention that the user installed Tsunami decoder is supplied with analog operation (DC) disabled. You will need at least an entry level DCC controller (such as EZ Command) for operation, or have someone with a controller capable of changing CVs to enable "alternate power source" if you are currently operating on DC power.

Regards
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

tuba1st

That medium steam is just the ticket.

Tom