News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

MRC Pack and EZ DCC Command

Started by DocWhite, April 01, 2009, 12:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocWhite

The original powerpack that came with the Bachmann trains does not have a provision for accessories.  I do have a MRC Powerpack, that is a few years old, and have been using it to run the smaller portion of my layout in DC mode. 

I now have some Bachmann DCC units, and the EZ Command Controller.

Is it possible to use the older MRC powerpack in conjuction with the EZ DCC to control the one DC train?  OR must I also add the original power pack for that purpose?  IF SO, how would I connect the MRC to the EZ Command Controller?

My MRC pack, has the option of fly wheel action and variable voltage etc...

DocWhite

I forgot to mention that my MRC unit also has power out connections for FIXED DC and REVERSE LOOP; if that would make any difference or help to my situation.

Yampa Bob

Hi Doc,
The latest information I have is that the only DC controller compatible with the EZ Command DCC controller is Bachmann #44212. The DVD that came with your EZ Command also has this information.

Regards

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jim Banner

As Bob says, you cannot use the MRC power pack to run trains when using your E-Z Command.  But you can continue using it to operate accessories - switch motors, building lights, etc.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

DocWhite

Thanks.  That is the way I have it right now; and shall leave it that way.

OkieRick

DocWhite said:
"Is it possible to use the older MRC powerpack in conjuction with the EZ DCC to control the one DC train?  OR must I also add the original power pack for that purpose?  IF SO, how would I connect the MRC to the EZ Command Controller?"

Hang on guys...am I all wet and remembering all crookedy in that you can operate and control one, and only one, DC locomotive with the EZ Command Controller if you use it addressed to the number 10 and active it pressing the 10 button?  DocWhite wouldn't need the MRC DC pak unless he wanted to power street lights, building lights etc. with it.  I think you can but you're warned to watch it closely so it won't get too hot?  Let's go fetch the pdf document...

From the E Z Command Controller User Manual - PDF:

E-Z Command allows you to control up to nine digital locomotives and will also accommodate your favorite non-digital DC locomotives (without DCC decoders). However, only ONE DC locomotive can be run at any one time on address button 10.

To operate a DC locomotive through your E-Z Command system, place a standard non-digital locomotive on the track. Next, press address button number 10 button (figure 16) to activate the DC locomotive and begin operation.

NOTE: WHEN OPERATING A DC LOCOMOTIVE ON ADDRESS "10," BE SURE TO MONITOR IT CLOSELY. SOME DC MOTORS ARE SUBJECT TO OVERHEATING AND DAMAGE WHEN OPERATING FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME ON DCC SYSTEMS.

Using the black interconnecting power cable provided, you can also connect a Bachmann DC controller to your E-Z Command Control Center as shown in figure 17. When connected, address 10 automatically converts from its original DC (analog) assignment to DCC (digital). Thus, a tenth digital address becomes available, and the connected DC controller will allow you or a friend to control a DC locomotive in conjunction with your E-Z Command system. The Bachmann #44212 power pack, available from hobby retailers, is ideally suited to this application (figure 18).

You can oprate one DC or "analog" loco using adress 10.

Okie Rick & his chewed up stick

Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Jim Banner

OkieRick is correct, you can operate one dc locomotive with the E-Z Command on address 10.  You can alternately control one dc locomotive with a Bachmann #44212 dc controller plugged into the E-Z Command.  This frees up address 10 for controlling another DCC locomotive.  But you cannot use any other dc controller for this.  Only the #44212 has the special internal wiring to allow this.

Strictly speaking, you can operate more than one dc locomotive this way.  But they will both start, stop, backup, etc. at the same time because they are both working on the same address.  If their speeds match one another over the whole range of speeds, you can couple them together and "double head" a train.  If they are diesels, you can even set one of them on the tracks backwards (just like the real railroads do) and still operate them together.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

DocWhite

Thank you all.  Today, by chance I visited a local Flea Market.  There was a table with much old brass O and S gauge equipment.  Stopping to chat, and make good use of an extra chair, we got around to my layout and needs.  After a bit of rummaging through an old trunk; out came an AC turnout control power pack.

Who woulda thought!  But, after checking it with a handy multimeter from an adjacent table, the voltage was perfect.  It cost me Two Buck (american) and it works perfectly, for what it was intended, powering the switch motors.

I think, checking the local (and maybe not so local) flea markets will become a regular thing to do.

Again, THANK YOU!