News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ-Track noise on wood table

Started by BestSnowman, March 29, 2009, 10:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BestSnowman

I just got my train table put up, I had my brother build one as I don't have the tools are vehicle for transporting 4x8 sheets of wood, and have noticed there is a lot of noise as the train speeds up. This is especially bad when my son (who is only 3) runs a train because he only knows one speed, full speed.

I thought I saw something on this forum about using a foam based roadbed underneath the EZ-Track. If I remember it was Woodland Scenics N-Scale roadbed. Am I remembering correctly and did anyone try it with any success? I'm going to pick some up the next time I'm at hobby lobby but I'm not sure how long it will be until I get a chance to go in. If that doesn't work are there any solutions that others have used to quite down ez-track?

I've uploaded a picture to flicker: http://www.flickr.com/photos/93301102@N00/3397571926/
I'm not sure where my wife's camera is so I had to use my cell phone and its still cluttered with tools. I had just run a couple test runs with all of my engines and rolling stock. I'll try to upload a better photo when I get everything cleared off.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

Tylerf

Huh, maybe two strips side by side under the track. Because of the molded roadbed normal foam or cork road bed will not be wide enoughto go under the track. Even if the track sets on it there would be a drop off on each side of the track which would look wrong. I actually very much enjoy the track laying process and have some ez track but only use it for display so I would suggest using sectional or flex track and woodland scenics foam roadbed for maximum noise reduction. If not is the track nailed or glued down because if not it may be noisier because of the vibrations agaist the plywood.

BestSnowman

I'm not exactly sure how it was supposed to work, I think N-Scale foam was used because it would fit within the plastic roadbed and provide some sound dampening (not sure if its true though).

I might be able to switch to non-roadbed track and the woodland scenics roadbed if I get a chance to expand it but I don't think my wife would allow me to replace all of my track at this point.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

lmackattack

another trick if its not to late to access the under side of the layout could be to add a thick rubber paint to the under side of the plywood. this may help reduce vibration?

All my track is on a rubber/tar like road bed layed on top of the pink foam. All noise from the locos is not heard. only at a scale speed of 40MPH is when I can hear the metal wheels on the rails. otherwise it not heard over my sound decoder equipped locos

Tylerf

yeah that could be an option, getting a nice loud speaker and play diesel sounds or nature sounds, something like that:)

OkieRick

That would ave been Yampa Bob mentioning the roadbed.

I purchased 3 boxes of the Woodland Scenics Road Bed to use in my upcoming 4x8.  We tried it on the first double oval but he had a hard time with the corners.  Try splitting it around the curves - it makes for easier stretching & bunching.

I'm also considering 1/4" or 1/2" sheet of foam insulation atop the plywood.

Rick
-
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

grumpy

Go to a lumber store and purchase cork from a roll. You can get it in most thicknesses . Cut it to fit the area you want to cover . It is much cheaper this way and you can custom fit.
Don

SteamGene

I have both cork roadbed and Woodland Scenics foam roadbed on my layout.   As much as I like Woodland Scenics, I'll never use their roadbed again.  Cork is much, much better. 
I'd suggest a reasonably thin sheet of foam insulation under the track.  This has the advantage of being easily cut for streams, underpasses, and such.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Terry Toenges

I used rubberized shelf liner (with the little holes in it) from Walmart which is available in a variety of colors.
Feel like a Mogul.

HO-Ron

Depending on far along you are, you could just put a 4x8 sheet of homasote on top of the plywood. If you consider this, you should paint all six sides of the homasote to minimize expansion and contraction. I can truly state that this will deaden all the sound. Only thing better is cork roadbed.
Since EZTrack is mounted on plastic, it will always give you some noise. Wood just amplifies it.
Good luck.
HO-Ron
Regards, Ron

train with no shame

will the cork roadbed they sell .fasten down well with ho ez track . and whats better screws or nails . i have even heard of hot glue .

BestSnowman

I tried some of the woodland scenic on half my layout and neither my wife or I could tell the difference. The noise isn't too bad at lower speeds so we are just gonna have to put up with the noise for now whenever he is at the controls. Maybe once I get some structures up he'll have more fun watching it stop at the various stops rather than full speed around the mainline.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

uncbob

Quote from: SteamGene on March 30, 2009, 07:35:38 AM
I have both cork roadbed and Woodland Scenics foam roadbed on my layout.   As much as I like Woodland Scenics, I'll never use their roadbed again.  Cork is much, much better. 
I'd suggest a reasonably thin sheet of foam insulation under the track.  This has the advantage of being easily cut for streams, underpasses, and such.
Gene

Can you list the advantages that you found using cork rather than  the roadbed

rallygsc

I found something neat that works,

auto parts stores sell this new material for sound deadening, it is a plastic like stuff with an adhesive backing that comes in 12" x 12" sheets, I think there's 30 sheets to a box?

I have to find out, the stuff is about a 1/16th" thick and you can cut it to any shape or size.

a friend of mine used it on his lionel layout and it works, and you all know how noisey lionel trains are on a table.

hope this helps
take care
George

grumpy

I fasten down my cork or Homasote with a product called No More Nails . It is a very versatile adhesive.
Don