News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ-Track noise on wood table

Started by BestSnowman, March 29, 2009, 10:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

My main objection to the Woodland Scenic foam roadbed is that it does not hold nails well.  Once the track is fastened down with glue and ballast, I assume it will be much better - but I haven't gotten to that stage yet. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

trainmaster971

One way to lessen the noise level is to remove the nails that were used to fasten the track after the ballast has been applied.  The diluted white glue will attach the track to the roadbed.  Apparently the nails tend to transfer the vibrations from the track to the plywood.

OkieRick

You yay-hoos are about to change my mind about using the Woodland Scenic foam on this work in progress layout.  I figured out (and has it tried) that splitting it in the middle and bending the inside & outside curve & radius separately made things a lotb easier.  Gene is right about the track nails not setting good in the plywood...and that is where I'll have no grade to the track.  This is going to have to be re-thought...

Longer nails?  Adhesive?  hmm...I thought I was goig to sleep well tonight & not redo my layout while trying to sleep.

Well Sheep dip!

Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

James in FL

I personally prefer cork roadbed, Midwest has my dollars.
I am not a HO, but rather a Normal scaler.

I never have used nails.

Using EZ track, I used clear silicone caulk to bond the track, cork, and foam board to the plywood.

The hollow EZ track resonates the loco sound, amplifying it. It's best to partially fill this void, under the roadbed, with silicone, which can be easily removed if it's not to your liking.

Aleene's Tacky Glue might be another product you may want to consider.

Ballasting in the old way, (water/glue) forms a hard crusty bond, negating any sound deadening measures you may have employed.

train with no shame

i started ho at christmas time . i have brand xxxx's 0 gage . with ez track i have found . i have changed my layout about 5 times now ...   "words" when my eztrack is straight and inline the noise goes down alot . my ez track is not fastened down as of yet   lol words . and the humidity here in south texas takes it toll on my layout . were just in the construction phase  trying to get the layout we want due to space . i built my base out of plywood .4 2x4 sections .and is good and straight and flat ferm legs .but i think until i fasten it down finally .i will have some noise . i like it i like the clickity clack . i dont like it when my rolling stock get rebelious . but it falls down to i haven't completed what i started . once my track is fastened i will have some noise .

grumpy

My EZtrack is lay ed directly to homasote . It is only fastened down at turnouts and bridges. I have used only nails long enough to penetrate the homasote and go into the plywood only slightly and not tightly. Once you have the EZtrack joined it requires very little to hold it in place. Because the track is layed on a plastic roadbase you have to give it the room to expand and contract .
Don