News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Lubricating gears

Started by robbs, April 01, 2009, 12:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robbs

Hey all, thanks again to those who pointed me in the right direction for proper ballasting! I'll get some pics up once I finish!

Anyhoo, onto my next question which is lubricating. Now after reading up on the subject on the board I've come to learn that WD40 is a big no-no in model railroading (thankfully discovering this before grabbing a can from the garage and going to town on all of my equipment!) and that Labelle 108? is the recommended oil.

After a trip to my local hobby shop, all they had in stock for Labelle was 107 or a kit which had 107, 102, and 106 grease. So I opted for the kit and just want to make sure that the directions with the kit are correct in that 102 is for the closed gear boxes/sealed workings, the 106 is for worm gears/exposed gear boxes, and it doesn't say what the 107 is for.

Most of you probably have migraines after reading my novice questions but I just want to be sure and not ruin any of my equipment! Thanks!

Yampa Bob

Here is some information on all LaBelle lubricants.

http://all-railroads.com/lablubes.htm

You have kit #1, suitable for HO and larger scales. The #2 kit has 108 instead of 107.  The main thing is to use all lubricants very sparingly, one drop goes a long way and lasts a long time.

Suggest also picking up the 108 when convenient, a bit thinner weight to wick into tight spaces.  A fairly new lubricant is 105, which is a "DCC track conditioner".

Note there is a typo on the page, under the heading suggested uses, the section for #108 has "107" in error.

Regards
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Jim Banner

107 - HO and larger bearings
108 - HO and smaller bearings

102 - open gears
106 - open or closed gears

Almost all model locomotives have open gears (not in a sealed gear box.)  For these in H0 scale, my personal preference is Labelle 102 which sticks to the gear teeth and is not pressed out.

I have not used the new 105 yet but will have to get some and compare it to 108 which I have used on track many times with complete satisfaction.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.