Layout questions for 26" and 28" radius e-z track curves

Started by rallygsc, March 31, 2009, 02:49:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rallygsc

Hello Everyone  ;D

I have been working on a layout off and on for the past few years, and I have finally decided on 26" and 28" radius curves.

I know a lot of people like to hand laid layouts, I did it a while back and I had too many problems so I decided to go with E-Z track.

I am using a 6' x 10' table, I can easily make it 7' x 10' if I have to,

I am trying to use track planning software atlas rts, but the problem is the fact they don't have radius curves that large, so I really don't have a clear idea on how it is all going to line up.

I am going with the idea of two basic ovals, # 5 L and R switches, then adding a few sidings and a roundhouse,

I decided on the larger radius mainly because of the passenger cars, a lot of them are asking for 24" radius curves, so now I am going to tear down the old layout and start building the new one.

anyone have any ideas on some layout software that might be able to help, possibly freeware?

any help is appreciated

take care and thanks
George

pdlethbridge

Hi George. I used the atlas software for planning my layout in atlas code 83 track. A work around for the 26" and 28" radius would be position straights where they would be needed for that curvature and run flex between them for the curve. Not easy, but doable.  Other software is available but will cost you some money.

jward

here is an alternate way that may work with the atlas software.
1. lay out a curve with 24" radius snap track.
2. add a curve of flex track on a 2" center outside the 24" curve. this would be your 26" radius curve.
3. add another flex track curve outside of the previous one, also on a 2" center. this is your 28" radius curve.
4. delete the 24" snap track curve.

note that the atlas software, while a very good program, has a tendency to shift things around. you may have to rotate things back into the alignment you want.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Joe Satnik

Dear George,

A few things.

First concern: Overhang crashes on the curves.     

I almost fell over backwards when Bachmann announced the 26"R  and 28"R curves some years back. 

I had been studying NMRA standards "track center-to-center distances" just prior to that, and at 26" radius, the recommended spacing for Class 1 (medium size) locos and rolling stock is 2-5/16", which puts the next "concentric radius curve" at 28-5/16"R. 

Yeeow.  They missed.  Too close by 5/16".

Of course, too late.  The molds and tooling had already been made.     

Funny thing was, they had their own example to follow in the 33-1/4"R and 35-1/2"R pair (2-1/4" difference), which is within the NMRA standards for Class 1 (medium size).

http://www.nmra.org/standards/sandrp/s-8.html

(Scroll down to HO)

By all means, if you have the room, go up to the 33"+ pair of curves.  Alternatively, you could use flex track on one curve to get the required spacing around 26"R.

Another possibility, spread the curves out by adding a 2-1/4" straight to the middle of the 26"R half circle, and a 3" straight to the middle of the 28"R half circle.  This will "fake" an extra 3/8" (=6/16") radius on the width.  Slide the inner curve (half circle)away from the outer curve by 3/8" along the length. 

Second concern: Reach.

John Armstrong recommends 30" max reach to any part of the train layout.  Anything over 36" reach, you should cut a hole (pop-up) in the middle of the layout and "duck-under" to reach things (e.g. derailments) over 3' from the edge.

Crawling under and popping up gets more difficult as your age.  Some use short rolling stools for the journey.   

You asked about track layout software.  Do a Bachmann Board search on "software".  You'll notice a few different programs mentioned.

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik       
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

jward

regardless of what the nmra standard is, 2 5/16" seems a little excessive on such wide radius curves. my own experiments with 24" and 26" radius curves showed that 86 foot cars could pass on adjacent tracks with as little as 2 1/8" centers......

as with the nmra vertical clearances,  the numbers they give are on the generous side, and you can experimant to see how much you can cut things down......
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rallygsc

Hello Everyone  ;D

I thank all of you for your input and help,

it seems that a 26" outer radius with a 22" inner radius would be the safest route, I would have clearance between the trains, and the loops would look interesting.

I will have to see, as it develops, I will pickup some 26" radius curves this April to get an idea and go from there.

switch wise, I have a bunch of the # 5 switches, picked them up on clearance for $9.99 each, I really like them and they serve the purpose I want.

I know there is a lot of people out there with elaborate layouts, I just want something simple in the garage for now, there is wheels on the table so it is mobile, so cutting out access panels is no biggy.

if all goes well, I plan on adding on, it's in the garage and I have a lot of spaceI can utilize.

but thanks to all of you, I have an idea.

I am surprised bachmann did'nt make any 24" radius curves.

have to jet

take care
George

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.