News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

MRC 1629

Started by ta152h0, April 16, 2009, 07:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ta152h0

Gotta ask. the "packaged by the factory" MRC # 1629 sound decoder is no clothes on. The printed board is not protected by shrinkwrap, as i had expected. Do I need to do this, for it seems obvious to me, I should but .....the factory didn't ? Does it get very hot during operations ?

hotrainlover

I have not used "Their" brand decoder.  The Bachmann decoders that I have used, all have "Heat Sink" wrap on them.  If they do not, I WOULD put it on them protect the decoder, engine; and system...  Or ...   :'(
I would cry if I had a melted engine....

r0bert

many sound decoders do not have shrink wrap due to the extra heat generated by the sound componets.
adding shrink wrap will prevent the circulation of air around the decoder, causing overheating, and failure.
if needed, a layer of insulating tape can go under the decoder.

Yampa Bob

Ta,
It's up to you, but I would return the decoder as defective. If you visit MRC site, you see the decoder does have heat shrink, and there is no mention of availability without as an option. If you have any doubts, you should call MRC and confirm.

I can't imagine a factory sending a decoder without the heat shrink, unless they also included instructions on how to protect the components. 

I'm certainly no expert on decoders, but I've yet to see one, sound or not, without the heat shrink as supplied from the factory, other than the sound boards. 

Just my opinion for what it's worth, other's mileage may vary.  8)
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

r0bert

the pictures on the mrc site are of the old versions, the newer versions of most of their decoders do not have wrappers.  heat build up from the wrapper was the main cause of failure.
this is one of the newer decoders NO SHRINKWRAP
http://www.modelrectifier.com/pops/index.asp?ID=8783

hotrainlover

Ta,
I did see that there is CLEAR heat shrink available...

Is it possible that the decoders have that?

ta152h0

I examined the board with a micro and did not see any signs of consumer rework on the printed board ( removal of caps, replacement of resistors resoldering terminals). I am going to use double sided foam tape to prevent the board touching anything conductive on the railcar ( 2-10-2 vanderbilt tender ).