smoke formula for steam engines

Started by tuba1st, March 14, 2009, 07:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuba1st

Is there a specific formula for a smoke engine.  On one of the bottles it listed mineral oil as an ingredient.  Is that something that can be used or is it mixed with something else?

fieromike

It'll work straight out of the bottle.  IIRC, there used to be scented oil available back in the olden days.

tuba1st

Stephen D. Richards

Still have scented smoke.  They make coal and wood and even one for Christmas.  P2K has it as well as a few others.  Bachmann has smoke fluid but not scented.    Stephen

rwiseha

Stephen,
Who makes the scented somke oil?  And can you tell me who make the smoke modules?
Thanks,
Rex ???

Woody Elmore

Seuthe of makes a smoking stack. I'm sure there are others.

You should check this website about previous posts which advise that having engines smoke is not necessarily a good thing.

rwiseha

BIG BEAR

Hey Folks,
     A couple months ago, I went to a local Lionel Club - open house. One member was complaining about the LHS, that gives them the basement space to have their layout, only had coffee and pine scented smoke left.
I thought they had a pot of coffee on in the backroom.

Enjoy,
         Barry
Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.

Stephen D. Richards

rwiseha,  Proto 2k makes some scented smoke.  Coal, Wood and during Christmas they make...you guessed it....Pine scented.  Hope that helps,   Stephen

tuba1st

I have tried the mineral oil and it does work right out of the bottle.  Not as much smoke but enough for the grand kids, they like it keep asking for that one engine each time they come over.  Thanks for the advise.

jsmvmd

Dear Tuba,

Here is an article about smoke fluid:

http://www.trains.com/ctt/default.aspx?c=a&id=632

Dear Mike,

Our LHS carries a smoke fluid, I disremember which brand, that has at least 15 or 20 varieties from cinnamon, pine, vanilla, coal, etc.  If you are interested, I will get the mfr for you.

I seem to remember the Proto2 stuff comes in a 4 or 6 oz white plastic container that looks like a steam engine, with the fluid being poured from the smoke stack.

Best Wishes,

Jack

tuba1st

Jack,
     Thanks.  I would like to know the manufactor for the smoke.

Tom

Neo Fender

Most likely, it's Megasteam: http://www.megasteam.com/

I use it in my Large and O Gauge locomotives.  It produces more smoke than than Lionel, Bachmann or Proto.

Quote from: jsmvmd on March 31, 2009, 11:25:32 AM
Our LHS carries a smoke fluid, I disremember which brand, that has at least 15 or 20 varieties from cinnamon, pine, vanilla, coal, etc.  If you are interested, I will get the mfr for you.

Jack

jsmvmd

Dear Tom,

It is ProtoSmoke from MTH in a 2 oz brown bottle that I bought 5 yrs ago. Nice cinnamon smell for my (then) wife, whilst I ran smoke in the home for our little boys.

I wanted to post this for you in a timely fashion, but I will stop by the LHS and look at their other stuff and let you know if there is other product.

Best Wishes, and Keep On Smokin'!

Jack

Paul W.

Tom,
The Megasteam is what I use, and they do have alot of different scents.
I would recommend their products.
Happy Steamin'

Paul