News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

track length

Started by rubiranch, April 03, 2009, 09:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rubiranch

We are looking at buying the durango silveton passenger train and would like to know how long each section of track is.

I see that they come in packages of 4 and will need roughly 80 ft of track.  we plan on putting it inside our business.

thanks in advance.

rubi

altterrain

The Bachmann track is fine for temporary layouts around the Christmas tree but for long term, daily use I would invest in brass track. Bachmann track is hollow tinplate (not terrible strong) and gets dirty pretty quickly. Brass track is available from AristoCraft, USA Trains and Piko.

-Brian
President of

grumpy

I think I would use aluminum track .It is cheaper than brass but just as durable.
Don

rubiranch

Thanks for the replys.

I found some track, I belive it is the brass track.

Train and track over $1000, I don't want to spend that much.

thanks again.

Joe Satnik

Dear rubiranch,

Bachmann's G track is for indoor use only and comes in lengths very close to one foot. 

12 curve pieces make up ~4' diameter circle. 

I would suggest buying in bulk (boxes of 50) or from set break ups, which are popular on e-bay. 

Much cheaper that way.

Assuming that your track will follow the walls around a rectangular room of 80 foot perimeter, you would need 3 curves for each corner (12 total), which come with the set.  No need to purchase any more.

You would need a total of 64 straights for along the walls. 

Since your set comes with 8 straights already, 56 additional straights would have to be purchased.

Warning:  There is significant overhang on the front end of the loco (cowcatcher) on curves. 

There has to be sufficient clearance between the track and the walls for that overhang. 

You can't cut corner pieces before you know what that clearance is. 

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,6808.0.html

Example is for HO track, but just use a G track bed width of 4-1/2" to 5", and a radius of 23-5/8"

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

rubiranch

Joe, thank you VERY much for the help.

We are opening a small store in a small town and wanted the trail but we didn't budget $1000 for one.

After looking again we couldn't find anything that "fit" what we wanted as much as the Durango Silverton passenger train does. :(

It looks like we can make that one happen now,

Thank you again :)

calenelson

This Stuff is Expensive  :o , but you should easily be able to get in for much less than half that cost ($1K)...if you shop smart, shop around - you should be OK...

there are some great internet dealers (don't think I can mention them here) that could save you bunches-

please feel free to email me and I can pass on those who have saved me some cash and provided great service to boot!

cale

Paul W.

rubiranch,
since you are doing a inside layout, you'll be fine with the Bachmann track. You can pick it up cheap on ebay. We have an indoor layout that has two loops, one is 54 ln ft, the other is 47ln ft. They are suspended from the ceiling, and with running a cleaning car once in awhile, it is still running great. It's been up now for at least 5 years.

Good luck
Happy Steamin'

Paul

doug c

"..since you are doing a inside layout, you'll be fine with the Bachmann track."

Ahhhh  8hrs a day ?  300 days of the year ?    that basic hollow bachmann track will get holey fairly quick . . . sooner than later if already used !

Shop around  . . . . maybe pay up to 3-4 times as much for brass, but will last almost forever indoors ! 
Good Luck !

IMHO,
doug c

georges' site pages re:track ;   http://girr.org/girr/tips/tips4/track_tips.html
"G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! "     djc'99

Joe Satnik

Dear rubiranch,

The following might be another way to save yourself some money. 

The 90032 "Bumble Bee" D&RGW passenger set (c. 1999) is quite similar in looks to the current D&S 90058 passenger set.

Both have the latest/greatest Version 5 Chassis with plastic Walschearts valve gear. 

The main difference is that the 90032 has a combine, not a coach as the 90058 has. 

Loco Bill Canelos keeps e-bay price stats for those sets.   

I have a 90032 set, but I need to get a part from Philly for it. 

Perhaps Loco Bill can let us know the current/recent 90032 set prices.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik     
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

calenelson

Hey Joe,

not Bill, but did locate the set 90058 online for $185+ shipping, with the freight set 90057 coming in at $159 + shipping.

cale

rubiranch

thanks again for all of the help.

I bought the train for close to $200 including shipping and I also bought 36 feet of straight track so I still need a little more.

The train will run inside our business elevated.  We are seasonal and will only be open 7-8 months out of the year and in the early and late seasons only 4-5 days a week and we have several hours of little traffic so the train wont be on all day.

I still need a little more track and hope to add some other items as time goes on.

thanks again,

rubi 

Loco Bill Canelos

Set 90032 can be one of the harder to find on Ebay.  They seem to go in spurts, if one sold at a high price others would list them in order to make a buck, this inevatibly caused the price to drop.   In spite of that the lowest price I recorded was $40.99.   The highest price was $234.50.  The average price was just over $100.  This was over a period of 3 years & 4 months ending in Dec 2008.  Prices I recorded were for C7 or better and had to be in good running condition.  I did not include non running engines or junker sets.

The lowest price I have seen for new D&S Sets were at the new york discounter who advertizes in Garden Railways
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

rubiranch

I ordered the 90058 train set and it was shipped today. ;D

bnsonger47

Rubi,

You have observed a couple of things about a forum of this type. (1) Some people will answer your question while others will change the question to suit the answer they want to give. (2) There are the purists in the crowd that will give you great information that may, to the casual owner, seem a bit intimidating.

Since this is still a relatively free country (except for the growing, national debt) you get to choose the information you want.

Enjoy the new train in your store. Look for track (a good place is eBay) that'll be "plug and play" with the set. Put together. Add power. Run. Clean the track and the drivers of the locomotive when it starts to act flaky (jumps because good contact isn't being made).

Joe gave your great guidance. Follow it.
Byron Songer
Victorian Crossing
Louisville, KY