adding sound decoders to locos if all you have is an E-Z Command

Started by boomertom, April 04, 2009, 11:52:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boomertom

From following various threads about adding sound and the need to madjust cvs, is it practical to even think of adding sound with a limited system like the E-Z Command?

If I want sound am I better off trying to find  factory equipped locos that I can afford even if I have to search E-Bay?

Boomertom :-\
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

Tylerf

You shouldent need to change cv's if you get the right decoder for that loco. Changing the cv's is just for the more picky ones that know how the loco should sound. All I know ismost kato locos have speaker enclosures built in and have speciallized digitrax decoders built for them. There are other companies mainly locos that have sound equipped versions have built in speaker enclosures which make installation much easier. You'll have to compare non sound and sound equipped locos and which costs more with the sound decoder.  But I know sound equipped locos generally cost around $100 more. Sound decoders range from about $80-$140 so factory equipped can be cheaper. So the overall answer to you're question is if the sound decoder is somewhat designed for that loco so it has somewhat proper sounds than you shouldn't need to change anything. And even if it isn't if you're not at all picky and just want sounds than changing cv's is not necessary. Plus you can usually bring it to a lhs and get them to program it.

Yampa Bob

Dear Tom,
It is obvious you've heard all the rumors, please allow me to give you the facts. As you know I recently installed a Tsunami in an AC4400 diesel. The engine sound is incredibly authentic, from start up as the engine turns over and comes to life, revs up then settles into a low rumbling idle. We know the sound is correct as we listened to the full size locomotive in the local yard.

The bell and horn are also accurate. With EZ Command we have engine sound synchronized to the throttle, speed and load, short horn, long horn, bell, lights off/on/dim, even a few other sounds as the engine is idling.  What more could we ask for?

As Tyler mentioned, each Tsunami as supplied is optimized for the best sound match to the type or "generation" of locomotive. However I would modify Tyler's second comment to:  "Changing CVs is for the more picky ones who THINK they know how the loco should sound.  Who knows more about the sound; Soundtraxx, who digitizes actual locomotive sound recordings, or the guy changing CVs looking for "just the right sound".  The right sound is already set for you at the factory.

The Engineer of a real locomotive doesn't change the sounds just to satisfy whims of the rail fans. He would say, "what you hear is what you get".

In a conversation with Soundtraxx support, I asked why so many horns/whistles are included on the decoders. Short answer: To satisfy the "needs" of the purists. The "need" is there only if the user has the ability to change the sounds. There are many modelers who don't believe in the phrase: "If it isn't broke don't fix it".

I have no quarrel with those who like to tinker with CVs to achieve the sounds that satisfy them. However, I get very irritated if someone tells me I can't enjoy the sounds because "I only have EZ Command". 

As you also know, EZ Command is loved the most by those of us who use it, and hated the most by the competition.(and other forums).
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Tylerf

Yeah I meant that the people like me who more enjoy a good sounding horn and bell rather than the prototypical ones. I had my first sound loco which was a kato sd38-2 with a digitrax decoder when I had my first DCC system which was the ez command and it did suit all my needs and work the sound decoder great. I only switched to my digitrax system because of my modelling group needs like 4 digit addresses and seperate throttles. But the ez command is a great system and you should have no problem running a sound equipped loco on it.
Tyler

Rangerover

Quote from: boomertom on April 04, 2009, 11:52:50 AM
From following various threads about adding sound and the need to madjust cvs, is it practical to even think of adding sound with a limited system like the E-Z Command?

If I want sound am I better off trying to find  factory equipped locos that I can afford even if I have to search E-Bay?

Boomertom :-\

Tom I just bought and received 2 BLI blue line RSD 15 loco's from Factory Direct Trains for $89.00 each. They come DC with sound, great sound I might add and detail, however you can either buy DCC motor decoder's for them ranging in price from $25.00 to $35.00 and install them yourself or they will install them for an extra $20.00 each. It seems best to order the decoders that work for them from Factory Direct. I've read on other forums with problems installing other, cheaper decoders and programing them. I haven't installed the decoders yet. I get carried away with the PR3 and not getting any work done on my layout. So I put it away while I finish some of my scenery I've been working on all winter. I bought the Digitrax PR3 computer interface and downloaded the JMRI program. I only use the decoder pro part of that program, and I can adjust or change sounds, some decoders you have a choice of bell or horn/whistle sounds. But you can adjust the cv's for everything else, like mars lights, ditch lights, speed steps, etc, that I had no control of when they were on or off, with my Bachmann EZ Command, now I do. Here's the link to Factory Direct Trains, I received them 3 days after I ordered them.

http://factorydirecttrains.com/bluelinealcorsd-15.aspx