News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum Heavyweight Coaches

Started by Pacific Northern, April 04, 2009, 08:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

As these are not currently produced have they become somewhat of a collecters item?

http://cgi.ebay.com/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330312847586

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-OF-10-HO-PENNSYLVANIA-BACHMANN-SPECTRUM-TRAINS_W0QQitemZ310127407082QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item310127407082&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

I do not understand how these coaches can be so valuable is such a short time.
Pacific Northern

hotrainlover

I have some of these cars.  I paid 18.00 dollars each.  I think this would be way TO MUCH, for these....  That is about 53.00 each....

Tylerf

Wow why so expensive. I guess the may be but just a few weeks ago my LHS had about 30 of them four $7 a piece. They are very nice cars so I got 7 of them which is amazing for that price but 600 sum dollars is not worth it.

Guilford Guy

I think the seller is playing on the idea that they are no longer in production while the molds are being retooled, and are thus "rare."
Alex

hotrainlover

I just checked for the Ebay store listed on the item description.  It stated the store "Does not Exist"....?  That is weird...

Joe Satnik

Comments on auction shenanigans:

I'd say that the auction must have run into 2 crazy high bidders.

The winner on e-bay pays 1 cost increment above the second highest bidder.  A crazy high bidder relies on the second highest bidder to bid sanely, say, no more than 10 percent higher than the item is really worth.  The crazy high bidder is now the winner, paying only 10 percent higher plus one cost increment.

The logic and sanity of a single crazy high bidder falls apart when 2 crazy high bidders start competing with one another, or a shill is bidding to jack the price up for the buyer. 

The only way to protect yourself from the crazies and shills is to set your bid to no more than you are willing to pay for an item, and then let the auction end without changing your bid.   You could get a second chance offer if:

1. The seller has more than one of the items to sell,
2. The shill overshot your bid by accident (guessed your highest bid wrong.)
3. The highest crazy bidder refuses to pay, and the second declines his second chance offer, which was set to his highest bid (way too high). 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

rallygsc

Hello Everyone  ;D

that seller epeddeler is a moron, sorry if I sound mean but that guy is always overpriced, he thinks it is gold when he touches it, LOL  ;D

the bachmann passenger cars is nice, I wish bachmann would re-release them with more roadnames, HINT HINT BACHMANN MAKE A NICKEL PLATE ROAD SET

Also bachmann forgot to make a Baggage car for these nice sets, walthers made one in a few roads that matched them, then ihc had some that sort of matched paint wise.

come on bachmann make the sets again, but in more roads,

take care George

RAM

Well nobady's bid on it so you offer $53.50.

Pacific Northern

Quote from: hotrainlover on April 04, 2009, 10:30:48 PM
I just checked for the Ebay store listed on the item description.  It stated the store "Does not Exist"....?  That is weird...

You are doing something wrong. Here is the link again. You can access the store from this link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330312847586

Pacific Northern

Chuck S

Quote from: Joe Satnik on April 04, 2009, 10:42:43 PM
Comments on auction shenanigans:

I'd say that the auction must have run into 2 crazy high bidders.

The winner on e-bay pays 1 cost increment above the second highest bidder.  A crazy high bidder relies on the second highest bidder to bid sanely, say, no more than 10 percent higher than the item is really worth.  The crazy high bidder is now the winner, paying only 10 percent higher plus one cost increment.

The logic and sanity of a single crazy high bidder falls apart when 2 crazy high bidders start competing with one another, or a shill is bidding to jack the price up for the buyer. 

The only way to protect yourself from the crazies and shills is to set your bid to no more than you are willing to pay for an item, and then let the auction end without changing your bid.   You could get a second chance offer if:

1. The seller has more than one of the items to sell,
2. The shill overshot your bid by accident (guessed your highest bid wrong.)
3. The highest crazy bidder refuses to pay, and the second declines his second chance offer, which was set to his highest bid (way too high). 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik

Joe,

Your right on about setting your highest bid and sticking to our guns.  I just picked up a FACTORY NEW Bachmann GS4 DCC on-board Southern Pacific 4-8-4 Loco, for $56.00 USD plus shipping.  My highest bid was maxed at $60.00.  This is the second loco of this type I have purchased from the same seller.  However, I do recommend buying from a well established seller whenever possible.  Like mentioned above, I got mine at THE FAVORITE SPOT!

http://cgi.ebay.com/BACHMANN-HO-DCC-4-8-4-TRAIN-LOCO-SO-PAC-POST-WAR-50203_W0QQitemZ350185836353QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item350185836353&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

Happy Bidding

Chuck S
Pueblo, Colorado

bunkhouse

Does the Spectrum Heavyweight  series that include #89246 lights work on DCC.

SteamGene

I have the C&O George Washington set and the lights work on DCC. 
About the seller:  I don't know him, but when he calls 13 cars "trains," I figure he doesn't know very much.  When he sells two combines and two observation cars in the same set, I 'm sure he doesn't know much.  Coaches can be renumbered, but I don't know of any U.S. train that had two combines and/or two observation cars. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rallygsc

Hi Everyone:

well I contacted that seller on a few things he has (epeddeler) he is selling them on consignment,

so I take it he wants to get 4 times what someone else wants for them, look at all of his auctions, and they are pretty nuts, there is a few sellers that go insane on prices like citadel international, he's insane also.

when a bachmann item is discontinued in their book, it is gold and you must charge way above what people are willing to pay.

favoritespot is great, I have dealt with that seller more than once,

this goes to show you, people need to research what they sell before trying to price an item or items with an insane amount.

take care
George

BillD53A

StemeGene, the Reading Company ran a streamlined train named The Crusader that had an observation car at each end, so they didnt have to turn the train.  It was pulled by a streamlined steam loco, which had the rear of the tender curved to match the obs, so the obs fit into it and maintained the stream-styling of the train.  The train was 5 cars long and ran from Jersey City NJ, to Philadelphia, a 1 1/2 hour trip.  The IHC HO streamlined obs was a model of these cars.
The Jersey Central ran commuter trains with more then one combine, all the time.