News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

# 5 Turnouts???

Started by hawaiiho, April 04, 2009, 10:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawaiiho

I just bought two #5 Turnouts.  When I tried to add them into my layout, I found that  the two track end would not fit any Bachmann EZ Track that I had, only then did I realize  adapter stubs were required and  had not been supplied  with the Turnouts. Does Bachmann supply  adapter stubs with the #5 Turnouts?????  If not, why don't they say that stubs are required give a reference number for the stub?

A qiuck search of this discussion group reveals that I am not the only person who has had this experience. 

Joe Satnik

Quoth the Bach-Man:

"Dear (#5 turnout customer),
The roadbed is already scored underneath. It's easy to break off.
Have fun!
the Bach-man"

End quote.

I have not found a good (adjacent or close by) use for the 2-1/4" straight that comes with a number 5 turnout. 

(If someone has found one, please let us know.)

I consider it an unrelated extra prize.

(Now a real useful prize would be a 2" straight.)

Free the 2" Straights !!

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

grumpy

Adapter stubs are not required . Join the turnouts the usual way using the connectors . Shim up the turnouts to match the level of the EZtrack. Let the stub from the EZtrack slide under the turnout or trim it off . For shimming I use cork .
Don

rallygsc

Hello Everyone:

Hawaii the guys are right, are you using bachmann e-z turnouts or ??

all of the bachmann e-z track is code 100, where other comapnies use anything from code 100 to code 70,

this is the height of the rail and code 100 is the most common one,

see the small adapter track that comes with the bachmann # 5 turnout has a score on the inside that you cut,

if you are not going to use it, use it to make a template if you plan on cutting another track to join to it.

I will have to take pics in the morning of what I did.

take care
George

hawaiiho

Thanks Joe(and Bach-Man.

After reading your post, I found the scoring on the underside and had no problem installing the turnouts.

However, this leaves me curious about one thing.   There were more than ample instructions on how to use the frogs(at least

two sets of directions with each turnout, but NO directions of any kind regarding the underside scoring and no directions

that the scored areas were to be removed to allow the EZ track to fit the turnout.

My guess is that less than a quarter of those that buy the #5 turnouts use the frogs, but quite likely that near 100% of the

buyers need to know about the cutouts.

I place this up there along with the 2 inch track sections. More folks probably need the 2" track sections than need the only way

Bachmann make them available-----with a crossover kit.

train with no shame

i don't know how many 90 degree crossings i had to buy . to get the 2" straight pieces .when i was racking my brain .to get the layout i WAS BUILDING  i found 2 online the nickel silver and i think i bought out all of our local hobby 90 degree black ez track 90 degree crossing to get the 2" pieces . i did find that when i put 2 sets of # 5 switches in parallel and then the standard turnout switches on the inner mainline i had to use the 2 1/4 pcs to get a propper fit along with 3" pcs . thats the misprint on the marx layout on thortrains i was told about .it says _____" pcs .and it is a 2" pcs .and like everyone says .BACHMANN WE NEED 2" PCS. and i had derailing problems because of the short pieces . i got rid of the s turns .that was pointed out to me . . anyways we need 2" pcs . i give you my corperate bone us bachmann . if you get us 2" pcs

hawaiiho

Quote from: train with no shame on April 06, 2009, 09:58:34 PM
i don't know how many 90 degree crossings i had to buy . to get the 2" straight pieces .when i was racking my brain .to get the layout i WAS BUILDING  i found 2 online the nickel silver and i think i bought out all of our local hobby 90 degree black ez track 90 degree crossing to get the 2" pieces . i did find that when i put 2 sets of # 5 switches in parallel and then the standard turnout switches on the inner mainline i had to use the 2 1/4 pcs to get a propper fit along with 3" pcs . thats the misprint on the marx layout on thortrains i was told about .it says _____" pcs .and it is a 2" pcs .and like everyone says .BACHMANN WE NEED 2" PCS. and i had derailing problems because of the short pieces . i got rid of the s turns .that was pointed out to me . . anyways we need 2" pcs . i give you my corperate bone us bachmann . if you get us 2" pcs

If Bachmann won't include, a piece of paper that explains the cutout scoring and how the turnout is fitted to the EZ track,  in the package

with the #5 turnout , I don't hold out much hope for ever seeing the 2" track sections made seperately available.

rustyrails

First, I have to say that I don't use E-Z Track because I don't like the geometry, although I think it is an innovative product and Bachmann has published a nifty plan book that includes a plan to simulate the operation of the Cass Scenic Railway.  What I would like to suggest to you folks is that you keep a couple of sections of flex track and a good pair of rail nippers (a special wire cutter type tool) around.  When you need a "fitter" section, cut it to length , lay a matching  piece of cork roadbed to bring the track to the right level, connect your rail joiners, and keep going.  When you ballast, the cork will disappear.  It wouldn't take too many crossings to pay for the nippers.   ;D
Rusty

grumpy

You can cut the EZtrack with a Dremel tool and abrasive wheel to whatever length you want.
Don