News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New to G-Scale

Started by lgldsr, March 26, 2007, 11:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lgldsr

Greetings!

I was unaware that Bachmann manufactured G-Scale products. While fairly well versed in O-Scale, I know little of G. Are there any good books out there relative to this Scale?

Many thanks!

Lyman

Tim Brien

Lyman,
           there are many largescale publications available, along with 'garden Railways' magazine, which is an excellent bi-monthly publication.

Now,  I wonder whether you are actually simply trolling for new members with your website forum link on your posting name.  I do not think that this link is really essential if you are simply asking a very basic question,  which simple research could find out.

Hunt

Understanding the scales and track gauges in large scale can be confusing to some. Some folks, NMRA included, use G-Scale for several different scales running on 45mm gauge track.

The electric powered large-scale locomotives commonly found in the USA are produced in different scales but run on the same gauge track. Bachmann manufactures two scale proportions, 1:20.3 and nominal 1:22.5, both run on Gauge 1 (45mm) track.

Some of the links here http://www.trains.com/grw/default.aspx?c=ss&id=16 will get you started.

lgldsr

Quote from: Tim Brien on March 27, 2007, 12:19:11 AM
Lyman,
           there are many largescale publications available, along with 'garden Railways' magazine, which is an excellent bi-monthly publication.

Now,  I wonder whether you are actually simply trolling for new members with your website forum link on your posting name.  I do not think that this link is really essential if you are simply asking a very basic question,  which simple research could find out.

Thanks Tim. Nope, no trolling. Nonetheless, I have removed the Sig / URL.

- Lyman

lgldsr

Quote from: Hunt on March 27, 2007, 12:27:03 AM
Understanding the scales and track gauges in large scale can be confusing to some. Some folks, NMRA included, use G-Scale for several different scales running on 45mm gauge track.

The electric powered large-scale locomotives commonly found in the USA are produced in different scales but run on the same gauge track. Bachmann manufactures two scale proportions, 1:20.3 and nominal 1:22.5, both run on Gauge 1 (45mm) track.

Some of the links here http://www.trains.com/grw/default.aspx?c=ss&id=16 will get you started.

Thanks Hunt!

Lyman

Paul W.

Lyman,
Like the above posts, there is alot to decide when dealing with large scale, standard guage, narrow guage, steam or diesel, and all of it runs on the same track.
As mentioned above, Garden Railways magazine is a great place to start. There are also magazines and videos on starting a garden RR.
If you want to look through a large selection of videos on starting a large scale RR, go to www.railroadcatalog.com you will find almost anything you can think of dealing with trains.
Happy Steamin'

Paul

altterrain

I would suggest - Getting Started in Garden Railroading by Allan W. Miller. A good book for G newbies.
President of

lgldsr

Thanks!

This may sound patently absurd, but has anyone considered a scale diesel engine for these? I would imagine the cost would be prohibitive though....

Lyman

Paul W.

Lyman,
There are plenty of diesels available for the garden RR. Get yourself a copy of Garden Railways to start.
Just because people call it "G" scale doesn't mean alot. The Bachmann 1:20.3 trains are Fn3, but people still call them "G".  1:29 & 1:32 are also considered by many as "G". Bachmann did put out a large scale diesel, it was modeled after a standard guage train modified to run on narrow guage track. This was a strong runner, but VERY big. Most diesels you will find will be standard guage, so they will be 1:29 or 1:32.
You will find GR magazine very helpful in learning about large scale.
Happy Steamin'

Paul

lgldsr

Thanks Paul.

>There are plenty of diesels available for the garden RR. Get yourself a copy of Garden Railways to start.

No...I meant real diesel power. A miniature version of the real V-16. Far fetched? Possibly. Could it be done? Sure. Costly? Oh yeah!   :)

JerryB

Quote from: lgldsr on March 29, 2007, 09:52:17 PM
No...I meant real diesel power. A miniature version of the real V-16. Far fetched? Possibly. Could it be done? Sure. Costly? Oh yeah!   :)
See: http://users.erols.com/diesel/wada/diesel.html for internal combustion powered LS model locomotives. They use model airplane type 'fuel' in glow plug engines powering generators and electric traction motors. They are internal combustion (diesel) / electric propulsion, just like the big ones! The site shows prices and availability, including a US dealer. Google "WADA Diesel Locomotive" for more sites.

Happy RRing,

Jerry

Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

lgldsr

Jerry,

Thank you! That is exactly what I was talking about! I had absolutely no idea that these existed. Stunning to say the least. "And then depression set in" when I saw the price - ouch! It might not be so bad if I couldn't recall being able to buy a new car for less!  ;D

Seriously, thank you for taking the time to point that out.

Have you seen any of these? Do they in fact sound along the lines of a Model Airplane, or is the muffling sufficient such that there isn't that annoying 'buzz'?

Thanks again,

Lyman

JerryB

Lyman:

Glad to help.

I haven't seen one live, but someone had a video or film at the Sacramento NGRC a few years ago. It sounded like a well muffled moderately high RPM model airplane engine in a model locomotive. Not too loud, but it's obvious that noise doesn't scale well!

There are some on-line videos, but my dialup connection is not video friendly, so I don't have an address. Go over to My Large Scale [www.mls/forums/.com] and ask. Someone will be able to point you to one, maybe even an oerating one!!

There are some other large scale IC powered locomotive enthusiast. Poke around the links at the WADA site. I just found videos and US based contacts on some of pages linked off WADA's menu. Also, try the search engine on MLS. There is an occasional mention there and a couple of the MLS guys have built their own.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources