News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

BACMANN 4-4-0 DCC Equipped #83405

Started by ta152h0, April 10, 2009, 12:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ta152h0

Finally took mine out of the box, love the " burning wood ' option. Runs well but does not like to have the locomotive address changed. So i run it on address 3. I have the MRC Prodigy Advance square system. Just won't accept address change. It has been in the box for six months before powering up.

Yampa Bob

I am just curious, are you able to change the address on your other DCC locos?

Others have reported the same problem with Prodigy, but frankly I haven't paid much attention to the solution(s) as I only have EZ Command. I would be inclined to call the factory and ask about it.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

ta152h0

This is the only locomotive stuck (?) on address 3. I have another loco, a 4-6-0 that is still boxed up. Maybe i should also operate the beast and see. All my others I have been able to program unique addresses.

CNE Runner

ta152ho - I have an answer for you (isn't the forum wonderful?). My Bachman Spectrum 4-4-0s would not program in ops mode (on the main) either. My DCC unit is an MRC Prodigy Advanced. I went on the Model Railroader forum and the advice was to purchase a Soundtraxx (or other make) programming booster (PTB-100 @ $59,95 from Walthers...obviously cheaper elsewhere). I used a separate programming track and the booster and the engines took new addresses. I believe I purchased mine from Discount Trains (http://www.discounttrainsonline.com/.

BTW: Those Bachmann Spectrum American 4-4-0s are great runners (unfortunately they are a little too new for my railroad being turn of the century models...but don't tell anyone).

Regards,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

ta152h0

thanks for the tip. It is a nice running machine and i happen to find it aesthetis to boot. I am right now playing with a GS4 and that was giving me trouble also until i switched tracks and reprogrammed it while running. Guess these things have a mistery inside their boilers.  ;D Nesxt project is to cram a sound decoder into the tender of a 4-6-0 and that is a tight fit. ???

CNE Runner

Hey ta - According to the Micro Mark catalog, Bachmann already makes a Ten Wheeler in HO with DCC and sound. The Micro Mark price is $178.85 (list is $345). The engine is available painted/unlettered with either 52" or 63" drivers. Unfortunately it comes in only the steel cab version - making it too new for the late 1800s...it looks like a super nice engine though.

Ray

richG

Quote from: CNE Runner on April 12, 2009, 11:29:56 AM
Hey ta - According to the Micro Mark catalog, Bachmann already makes a Ten Wheeler in HO with DCC and sound. The Micro Mark price is $178.85 (list is $345). The engine is available painted/unlettered with either 52" or 63" drivers. Unfortunately it comes in only the steel cab version - making it too new for the late 1800s...it looks like a super nice engine though.

Ray

Mine came with the wood cab option in the box. Removing the steel cab was easy but installing the wood cab was a nightmare. The pipes had to be installed into holes in the cab which is quite difficult.

Rich

CNE Runner

Rich - Boy am I glad I read your post regarding the Bachmann Ten Wheeler. I have been considering purchasing one of these and wanted to convert the cab to wood. After reading your post, I think I'll put that purchase on the back burner. The Newburgh, Dutchess & Connecticut RR never had Ten Wheelers; but a connecting road (New York & New England  RR) did run both Ten Wheelers and Consolidations. The biggest locomotive the old N.D.& C. ever ran was one Atlantic. I guess I'll have to hold my breath until Bachmann brings out a Mogul (with a wooden cab of course). If this hoped for Mogul runs as well as the Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0s - I will be in heaven!

Ray

richG

If you ever consider the 4-6-0,  here is what someone did to backdate their loco a little.

http://www.cwrail.com/index.html

Rich

uncbob

I just got my Bachman 10 wheeler and 4-4-0
Great looking models --I haven't put my 2-8-0 28-2 or 4-8-2 on the tracks since these little guys came

One thing is they seem awful small

I also had IHC 2-6-0 and 4-4-0 --great runners but not as detailed as the Bachmans but one thing the IHCs are larger engines
Anybody know if the IHC represents  larger models or just out of scale

CNE Runner

RichG - I went on the website you suggested and was really impressed with the modifications that chap did on his 4-6-0. Unfortunately, I don't have the skill or confidence to tackle modifying a $200 engine. I do want to thank you for the suggestion...nice website BTW. UNCBob - If you are referring to the old time IHC locomotives; they are a little large. The Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0s, on the otherhand, are a later edition of the most prolific locomotive ever produced - being built in the early part of the 20th century. I use them on my 1889-dated layout and have to live with their larger size as well as electrics. Compare the Bachmann Spectrums to an earlier Bachmann 4-4-0 (for example the Jupiter) and you will see a considerable size difference. Bob, I love the lettering you have done on your engines...I have to reapply my decals/transfers a couple of times before they come out correctly. Looks great!

Regards,
Ray