4-8-4 Niagara and 2-10-0 DOA- fixed without return back

Started by tiz, April 06, 2009, 10:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiz

Hello to all forum members and Mr. Bach-Man!

Mostly I read the posts, but this time maybe I can help somebody with my experience. I have many Bachman HO steamers, mostly Spectrum. They all work well, my favorite Shay needed new trucks, but replaced with parts ordered from Bachmann.
Recent order of 4-8-4 Niagara and 2-10-0 Decapod ( brand new) showed both engines DOA. Niagara didn't move (DCC and DC tested) and rear light worked! My work ( and hobby) is electronics, then I decided to open the tender and the loco ( avoiding send back to USA and waiting for the new one). Small PCB located inside the loco has two connectors on it. They are used for the connection to the tender. Wires from the PCB go to the motor, wheels pick-up  and the  front light. I expected to see the soldered wires but they were bent thru the holes on the PCB and insulated by some small plastic square caps. I carefully soldered the wires, positioned the insulators back and loco worked like the dream. Also I replaced the yellow LED's, (on tender too) with 3mm white ones, without resistor change ( current is almost the same for both).
Decapod had the common problem- it was short on loco ( DCC ready model). I have read the forum and confirmed that wheel pick-up contacts on the loco ,located on the bottom cover, over the wheels, are problem. Two stripes of elastic contacts are attached to the cover at the ends. Middle part is raised a bit and touches the middle shaft, one with the gear. I placed two stripes of insulation tape over the exposed part. Then you have to carefully put the part back. You can also insulate the contacts end with wires soldered to it.
I found that DCC on board, sound version, has insulation part added, which prevents the short ( from Bachmann Diagrams  part No-H843X-00001).
Also I added a bit of weight for both tenders (4-8-4 and 2-10-0) to prevent cables to lift them up.
Now they work perfect, even on the small track radius.

Regards
Zdenko

the Bach-man