what were the "flying pumps" on the C&O 2-8-4 used for?

Started by HOplasserem80c, March 26, 2007, 11:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOplasserem80c

I was wondering what they did because they look cool and i want one. I have no clue if it can run around 18 raduis turns but it still looks neat

Hoople

Flying pumps I beleive are airpumps. They compress air for the brakes.
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

SteamGene

The C&O 2-8-4 did not have flying pumps.  It had the pilot mounted headlight, but the air pumps were mounted behind shields on the pilot deck.  In this way its was like the Nickle Plate, PM, and others of similar design. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ebtnut

The 2-8-4's on the C&O did not have "flying pumps", but the 4-8-2's did.  Due to tight clearances in the tunnels along the New River, the C&O mounted the two cross-compound air pumps on the smokebox front instead of alongside the boiler.  They did this also on some 4-6-2's.  Bachmann makes the 4-8-2 in C&O as part of the "George Washington" passenger train set.  See a pic in the Bachmann catalog.

SteamGene

Other C&O locomotives with flying pumps were the K-1,K-2, and K-3 Mikados, and the articulateds. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

glennk28

Air pump location was generally influenced by what space ws available to mount them, clearances to other accessories, overall clearances, and weight balance of the loco.  Then there was always the motive power superintendent/s preferences.

Jake

The Pumps are air compressors for the brakes, and while it CAN run on 18"r curves BUT you can run it at NO more than 5 scale MPH and if you have an s-bend you MUST have a 9" straight track between the two curves. Glad to help, but I recommend you get a Connie, it's cheaper, DCC equipped and runs on 18"r curves with NO problems what so ever.
Co Admin/Founder of the North American Narrow Gauge Modelers!
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/northamericanna.html
www.myspace.com/vfb1210

JIMMY!! HAFF AR LODE JUST DROPPED LOOS!!!

SteamGene

Jake,
The originator of this thread is banned, so he won't see your answer.  Of course he might not follow it, either.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat