News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tender length

Started by T Cline, April 06, 2009, 04:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richG

Quote from: T Cline on May 16, 2009, 02:37:23 AM
Still waiting to find out how to post photos here... I'd like to share. Keep in mind, I'm no computer genious.. Simple idiot-proof please....

Todd

Hi Todd

When you get an account, try to plan your albums in advance as this can really get you to uploading and sharing the photos and only one album can become cumbersome quite rapidly.
When you put a photo in an album, do not move it to another album as any place your posted that photo will not see the photo anymore.
There are four options you will see at the Photo Bucket site when you are signed in and looking at a particular photo. You want to click on and copy the last of the four options. IMG I think as I am not signed into my albums right now.
I believe I use the second option when posting the photo in emails to people.
The beauty of this is, you can immediately delete the photo if it does not look correct. You can also delete the photo in the Bachmann forums if the photo does not look correct to you and try again.
I played with this a few times and finally got it correct.
Another thing to consider is the brightness and contrast of photos you take. I do not know what photo program you use as I use Linux, not Windows. Some people take photos that can be rather on the dark side so you have to increase the brightness and contrast. Again, ask here about photo processing applications/programs for Windows and then practice
I am not a geek, just an old man. I just like learning new things.

If you want to continue on this photo subject, start a new thread as it will be easier for some to keep up with this subject rather than get buried in this thread.

You might also save this page to your Favorites Folder for easy reference. Another option, is to copy and paste the text into a Word Document.

Some day you may want to share this information with someone else. This is a community and it is nice to give back.

Rich

Yampa Bob

I suggest downloading the following FREE image management program. If you want everyone to see your pictures, they should be no larger than 500 pixels wide, with a file size not over 75 to 100 kilobytes, BEFORE uploading to Photobucket.

http://www.irfanview.com

I continue to see members posting pictures with filesizes as large as 500 kilobytes. Those who have broadband don't realize (and in some cases don't care) what hardships are imposed on those who are on slow dialup. It's just a matter of courtesy to all.

At Photobucket, you can also select 640 X 480 as your largest picture which will help a little, but the site reducing process will blur your pictures. As Rich mentioned, with a file management program, you can adjust brightness, contrast, even sharpen an out of focus picture, crop out excessive background to add impact to the main subject, and reduce both the physical dimensions (pixels) and the filesize (kilobytes).

Image filenames, user and album names, should not have any spaces. Windows allows spaces, HTML hyperlinks do not. To separate characters, use the hyphen (-) instead of a space. For example, if your album is T Cline/my layout/box cars/car 01.jpg (note the spaces), it will show up as T%20Cline/my%20layout/box%20car%2001.jpg. 

I was Webmaster for many years for several commercial and personal web sites. Images are useless if "customers" can't view them.

I wrote a detailed tutorial on installing and using Irfanview and will be glad to send to you if you want. It only takes about 15 seconds to optimize a picture for posting on the forum. 

About a year ago I posted a thread on image management, but took it down when some members accused me of trying to set forum policy. If you need detailed instructions, it will have to be by email. I have privately tutored several members, who are now proficient at posting pictures.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

richG

Hi Bob

yeah, I keep forgetting about dial up users. I will work on shrinking my photos in the future. I use a Linux Operating System and a photo management Application called Gimp so I have to find an easier method of shrinking photos. Ir works fine but I have a lot of photos and the ones on Photo Bucket I do not want to mess with, though as time goes on that may become a moot point. I just do not remember a lot of places that I have posted many of the images.

Email me a copy of what you have and I will see how I can adapt. I have just purchased a Acer 5515 wireless laptop for $325 that has Vista Basic so maybe I can use that PC for photos and dual boot it with Linux Mint 7 for secure Internet connections.

Thanks.

Rich

Yampa Bob

Hi Rich,
The tutorial is in your inbox. Irfanview works in my XP, I'm sure the latest download will work in Vista. Considering the program is FREE, anyone posting pictures on the net should have it.  Learning curve is about 15 minutes for essentials by using my tutorial.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

richG

Thanks Bob. Just got it. Yes, I am very familiar with following instructions first.

Rich

renniks

Another fully featured free software is:-

http://www.photofiltre.com/

I use it myself on Vista and found it easy to learn. It is a French application but has an "anglais"link on home page and you download the English version.

Eric UK