News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

costom turntable

Started by John Honeck Sr, April 08, 2009, 02:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Honeck Sr

Many mouths ago there was an story about how to rework a turntable using an Atlas turntable, I think, into a larger pit type turntable. the story had pictures showing the process of building this turntable. Can anybody remember this, can you help me find it, or reprint it?

Yampa Bob

Hi John
Check out this site:
http://www.2guyzandsumtrains.com/Content/pid=11.html

The instructions are for both HO and N scale. Other members may have some more links.

Regards.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

CNE Runner

Holy moly...you better know what you are doing for this conversion1 I liked the first sentence on the website that read: "This is not for the faint at heart." - truer words have never been spoken. Bob, this is way beyond anything I would be comfortable doing.

My advice? There are a couple of turntable craftsman kits - available on the Internet - that will definitely tax your skills...I should say will definitely tax your patience. Walthers, however, sells a 90' turntable #933-2840 that is fully assembled, motorized, and with programmable indexing for $299.98 (for the same price they offer a fully assembled 130' unit #933-2829). Walthers also offers the 90' turntable without the motor kit at $39.98 #933-3171.

Virtually all my structure kits are of the craftsman variety - so I know my way around glues, jigs, clamps, and an Xacto knife. However, I also know my limits and coverting an Atlas turntable to a pit unit is way beyond them. BTW: Bob that website you supplied, in your post, is excellent...maybe we should start a thread listing our favorite websites!

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Les

I purchased the Walthers 90' turntable kit - it is not good.  I assembled the kit, reworked the assembled kit many times and finally gave up.  I had power problems as well as mechanical problems (bridge scraping the pit, etc.).  I called Walthers for help and was told by a technician that there were many problems with the kit.  I finally bought and installed the Atlas turntable -  it is a bit short to turn certain longer locos,but it does work for me.  I certainly could never do the makeover mentioned above.  Good luck with whatever turntable you select.

jward

thanks bob for the link. i had been thinking of building something like this. it doesn't look TOO hard. having seen the issues my father went through with a heljan kit 30 years ago, the one i believe the walthers turntable is based on, using the altas table as a base seems like the way to go.

btw, dad eventually gave up on a turntable, sidelines his steam power, and primarily runs gp7s, which are in theory bidirectional......
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Yampa Bob

The 2G (2Guyz) site has lots of neat projects. If you have the tools, here are instructions for a scratch built turntable.

http://www.2guyzandsumtrains.com/Content/pa=showpage/pid=15.html

I've been working on (more off than on) expanding an Atlas turntable to 12 inch surface mount. One of the members from Germany sent me some pictures of his expansion project.

Increasing the size of the deck is fairly simple by extending the rails on a scratch built bridge, the problem is adding another gear to the mechanism to move the hand crank or motor to clear the deck. I'll get it figured out someday, just a low priority for now.

Seems these days I have lots of inspiration, but not enough motivation and perspiration. My mind can "see" a project, but my eyes can't.  If someone else wants to tackle the project, I'll be glad to relate my ideas the best I can. Unfortunately I no longer have Autocad, so it's hard to work up drawings.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

CNE Runner

Just a thought, but Peco has just come out with a [seemingly] nice turntable in On30. I wonder if it could be converted to HO gauge easier than the Atlas conversion? PS: I have heard the same complaints about the Walthers 90' turntable on the Model Railroader forum. If you want to see a picture of the Peco turntable either go on the Peco website, or Valley Model Trains at http://valleymodeltrains.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=turntable

I use the Atlas turntable, as is, and have nothing bad to say about its operation. My layout is currently in an unheated/unair-conditioned garage so the environmental stress on track and turntable is extensive. Recently I went out, folded down the layout, and was amazed that the Peco turnouts worked flawlessly, the Atlas turntable gave no trouble, and my reliable Bachmann Spectrum 4-4-0s ran well. I can't wait to experience an indoor layout!

Ray

SteamGene

The Walthers KIT turntables from all reports are total dogs.  The already assembled with motor and control ones, OTOH, arse super - or at least the 130 foooter is.  Sweet. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

CNE Runner

Since the Walthers 90' and 130' turntable use the same motor and drive system, I'll keep that in mind if I decide to replace the Atlas unit with an open pit table. Thanks for the information.

Ray

John Honeck Sr

thank You for the info and the two sites about turntable rework and build. The info is great, maybe I will try one of them in my spare retired time.
John

jdvass

rogertra

Quote from: SteamGene on April 08, 2009, 06:11:58 PM
The Walthers KIT turntables from all reports are total dogs.  The already assembled with motor and control ones, OTOH, arse super - or at least the 130 foooter is.  Sweet. 
Gene

Yes Gene, the 90 footer is the same as the 130 footer, sweet.

And the KIT is a dog.  Don't ask how I know.  :-(

pdlethbridge

The problem with the 90 foot kit is the wipers onthe rings. I changed mine to a L shaped piece of heavy brass wire and drilled holes in the bottom of the drive assembly so I could use rubber bands to hold them tight to the rings. It works like a charm. Mine is decoder equipped so I can adjust top speed and acceleration, deceleration. Other than an occasional shudder at an area where there are no tracks its a winner to me.

renniks

The recently released Peco On30 TT is their long existing HO/OO TT with an altered (wider) deck on the bridge. Both use same pit and 12" long bridge.

Eric UK