News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC On Board with DC Layout

Started by CJtrain, April 10, 2009, 10:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CJtrain

My son and I have a DC layout and recently purchased a Bachmann loco that was DCC equippped and compatible with conventional DC powered layouts.  I did not see anything on the instructions regarding steps to take to make it DC compatible.  It runs but is not smooth at low speeds and actually requires a relatively high voltage (over 6 volts) to get it moving.  We also have an Athrean and a Kato locos that operate very smoothly and are much more responsive at lower voltages.  Is there anything that I need to do with the DCC connections on the Bachmann loco to make it perform better on the DC layout?

CJtrain

Tim,
It does not appear the decoder was designed on this loco to be easily removed but instead an integral part of the loco. 
There are no sockets for the decoder but instead six wires soldered directly to the board.  Four are for the contacts from the trucks and the other two go from the board to the motor.

The parts diagram only shows the decoder board without any details and no jumpers.  My Kato loco has an 8-pin socket board with a jumper so in comparing the two, I can follow what you are saying when looking at the Kato but not the Bachmann.

Careless instinct is telling me to remove the four wires coming from the trucks and reconnect them to the motor leads to bypass the decoder but in doing that I would also disable the lights which are connected to the decoder board.  Those could be rewired with a resistor in between the contacts from the trucks but that sounds like I would be making it too difficult than what it should be.

Any thoughts of what I may be overlooking?

Thanks,
Steve

Tim

CJ

The board is the decoder, your only option is to disconnect the motor leads from the board
and connect them to the red and black tie points.  This will bypass the decoder and the loco
will function as a normal DC loco.  It will not harm the decoder, and you can revert to DCC
by simply reconnecting to the original points.

Let the decoder operate the lights.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

CJtrain

That sounds like a plan.  Greatly appreciate the advice.  We've only been with the hobby since Christmas but have put a lot of time into it and received a ton of enjoyment out of it.

Thanks again,
Steve

Jim Banner

Quote from: CJtrain on April 11, 2009, 11:22:13 AM
Careless instinct is telling me to remove the four wires coming from the trucks and reconnect them to the motor leads to bypass the decoder... Any thoughts of what I may be overlooking?

The one thing you are overlooking is that connecting power from the trucks to the output of the decoder, where the motor is connected, will destroy the decoder.  Tim's method of disconnecting the motor wires from the decoder and reconnecting them to the truck wires is not an alternate way.  It is the only way.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

CJtrain

Jim - thanks for pointing that out.  My original (careless instinct) was also to include removing the decoder which would have elminated any concern with damaging it due to incorrect wiring but I would have had a problem to deal with regarding the lights.  I'm glad you brought this point to my attention so I would not have mude such an error.