Need Info re: Athearn DCC-Ready Diesel Engines & Digitrax DCC Decoders

Started by BradKT, April 08, 2009, 09:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BradKT

I am considering buying 1 or 2 Athearn Genesis SD-45 DCC ready engines.

I have dealt with converting older Athearn non-DCC ready engines to DCC using Digitrax decoders.  I have that down and I am sure that this should be easier.  I just haven't done it before.

Before I make any purchases, can anyone explain to me the difference in the installation of a Digitrax decoder in a DCC ready Athearn engine (as well as the proper decoder to use..is it the DH 123D?).  If possible, can you walk me through the process?  I already scanned the Digitrax directions, but I still have a hard time envisioning this procedure due to the fact that I don't have a DCC ready Athearn engine in front of me yet.

Any comments would be very helpful.

Yampa Bob

Brad,
The latest DCC ready versions are typically standard models with Genesis drive systems.

If you are buying current release models they will have a JST 9 pin socket on the board. (Athearn calls it "Quick Plug") I installed a DH123 in an AC4400 recently. Remove the shell and plug in the decoder. I installed a Tsunami in another one, same easy install.

Regards
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

OkieRick

Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

BradKT

Jim Banner

The DH123D is the low priced "correct" decoder.  It has two function outputs for forward and reverse headlights.

The DH163D is the upgrade "correct" decoder.  It has 4 four function outputs and Back EMF control as well as all the goodies found in the DH123D.

The DH165D is the upgrade, Sound Bug compatible "correct" decoder.  In addition to everything the DH163D does, it has a socket that you can plug a Sound Bug sound card into if you ever want to upgrade to sound.  I am not sure if the DH165D is on the market yet.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Yampa Bob

I have had great success with the standard DH123, even in my small Roundhouse vintage locos.  They seem very compatible with my EZ Command, smooth throttle response.

http://www.digitrax.com/prd_mobdec_dh123ps.php

As I mentioned, I installed a DH123 in one AC4400, a Tsunami in another. I am  pleased that both locos are very well speed matched and run great in consist with the sound loco in the lead.

I am also pleased at how nice the locos look and run on my 18" layout.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.