LENZ Decoders - anyone added one in a diesel?

Started by OkieRick, April 08, 2009, 11:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OkieRick

I was given a nod towards LENZ from a tech at Walthers - he also mentioned every other decoder maker.  Has anyone used a Lenz to go from DC to DCC in a loco that wasn't "DCC Ready?" (no 8 or 9-pin connector onboard)

Thanks-
Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Yampa Bob

Are there any particular benefits of the Lenz that was recommended by Walthers?

So far, I have only used decoders from Bachmann, Digitrax and Soundtraxx. They all seem to be very compatible with each other and with my EZ Command.
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Rangerover

Quote from: Yampa Bob on April 09, 2009, 02:40:57 AM

So far, I have only used decoders by Bachmann, Digitrax and Soundtraxx. They all seem to be very compatible with each other and with my EZ Command.

Bob I may be wrong but Bachmann doesn't make decoders. What I'm finding out with my computer interface PR3 and decoder pro is they are Lenz in the Bachmann diesel engines.

pdlethbridge

Aren't ez command and dynamis lenz based too.

Rangerover

Rick you did the right thing by going to a tech dept. I've been using Tony's Trains ( http://www.tonystrains.com/), they seem to be the most comprehensive site and Tony has devoted it to DCC users. If need be he will walk you through it on the phone,  great place!

If all you want to do is a simple 2 function lights and motor, nothing wrong with your choice especially using Bachmann EZ Command. I just ordered 2 decoders for my BLI blueline HO Alco RSD 15's just recently purchased and the decoders are Digitrax DZ 143PS with lock, for HO, N, and Z scale, the size of a dime. It already has sound but with DC, so I ordered a decoder that was recommended and it's just a simple plug in with the sound decoder. It depends on how much room you have with the shell and chassis if a particular decoder will fit. Some buy decoders and hog out the shell or the "weight" to make them fit. I'm a bit lazy for that method unless I have to.

Yampa Bob

I am not a player in the "name game" so I don't worry about who makes what. I just go by the name on the package or product.  :D

OkieRick

Quote from: Yampa Bob on April 09, 2009, 02:40:57 AM

So far, I have only used decoders from Bachmann, Digitrax and Soundtraxx. They all seem to be very compatible with each other and with my EZ Command.

Bob the tech said it wasn't Walthers policy to reccomend any decoder mfgr over another they sell for.  He told me virtually every mfgr's name then sent me phone numbers and links to websites of each mfgr.  There were none that haven't been mentioned on the forum at one time or another.  Lenz was atop his email list.  QSI got high praise in our conversation

Here's the deal. I bought three Proto 2000 Series Diesel locos that were old stock but still new in the box from Victor - owner / operater of Erail, a train store in a suburb of Tulsa. http://www.erailhobbies.com/ I bought a SD7, GP18 and GP20 - all DC only.  He sold them to club members at prices that couldn't be ignored to clear old stock.  The brand / mfgr - Life-Like - was why I called Walthers as that is who owns Life-Like now.  He's offered to add DCC & Sound to all but I wanted to check my options first.

The tech did tell me how to install a speaker if I opted for DCC and Sound.  A hunk of the nose weight is removed with a hack saw (hobby hack saw I'm sure) and the oblong speaker placed there or in a dummy if you'd like.

Compatibility with EZ Command and Dynamis is why a asked about Lenz here.

Cowboy Bob, why aint you tried one yet?

Okie Rick

OkieRick

Quote from: Rangerover on April 09, 2009, 11:16:25 AM

Rick you did the right thing by going to a tech dept. I've been using Tony's Trains ( http://www.tonystrains.com/), they seem to be the most comprehensive site and Tony has devoted it to DCC users. If need be he will walk you through it on the phone,  great place!

If all you want to do is a simple 2 function lights and motor, nothing wrong with your choice especially using Bachmann EZ Command. I just ordered 2 decoders for my BLI blueline HO Alco RSD 15's just recently purchased and the decoders are Digitrax DZ 143PS with lock, for HO, N, and Z scale, the size of a dime. It already has sound but with DC, so I ordered a decoder that was recommended and it's just a simple plug in with the sound decoder. It depends on how much room you have with the shell and chassis if a particular decoder will fit. Some buy decoders and hog out the shell or the "weight" to make them fit. I'm a bit lazy for that method unless I have to.

As of now I'm unsure just how many Sound equipped DCC locos I can afford.  My first purchase was a Proto 2000 2-10-2 Steam loco.  It was DCC & Sound.  My buddy bought the RSD 15 High Hood Pennsylvania loco in DCC and Sound.  I like sound.  I'm buying for a full steam layout and full diesel layout that are one in the same.  I'll probably upgrade the SD7 to sound and DCC.  I'm finding DCC only upgrades are relatively innexpensive no matter what the decoder brand name.

Rick

Yampa Bob

Rick,
I guess it's because I have no incentive to try Lenz decoders. Most of my locos are Bachmann DCC equipped and I am very happy with them.

For my Athearn DCC ready locos, I buy Digitrax decoders for $18, compared to $25 for a standard Lenz, and the Bachmann clone doesn't have the JST plug.

I figure the fewer brands of decoders I have, the better chance for uniformity and compatibility with my EZ Command controller. 

I have the same policy with my locos and rolling stock, but that's another story.  8)

pdlethbridge

I was going in the same direction as Bob. My budget is limited so cost is a big factor, not so much size. I've used Digitrax dh123 almost exclusively. If I were to buy another brand, I could get three for what I pay to buy 4 of digitrax.

ta152h0

I added one to a BACHMANN 2-10-0 Decapod ( Susquehanna RR ) works great and a Mantua 2-6-6-2  ( not working very good on-off frequency like a turn signal in a car ). I think with the LENZ decoder i need a bigger computer than an MRC Prodigy Advance 2.. The start v, acc voltage, dec voltage and top voltage use different values.

OkieRick

I have re-researched this every night for two weeks now.  I'll get the shop owner's two cents worth tomorrow.  Often times he said they (the club) do DC to DCC or DCC and Sound upgrades as a club activity. 

I can afford one DC to DCC & Sound conversion a month.  I'm still hurting from last Christmas - I was a good Santy...too good.  And I guess my elected officials in Washington DC haven't seen me fit to be bailed out.

I'd like to get the GP18 done first - I'll get prices tomorrow hopefully and do what I can.  I'll go look at Soundtraxx and Digitrax again. 

Thanks for your input, it -is- appreciated.

Rick
-

bcjim

[quote author=Rangerover link=topic=8992.msg73981#msg73981

I just ordered 2 decoders for my BLI blueline HO Alco RSD 15's just recently purchased and the decoders are Digitrax DZ 143PS with lock, for HO, N, and Z scale, the size of a dime. It already has sound but with DC, so I ordered a decoder that was recommended and it's just a simple plug in with the sound decoder.

Little change of topic  here, I am still in therapy after doing battle with Bluelines.
Programming was easy but I lost the sound for no reason
in  2 SD-40 at the same time.
Finally restored the sound but was not fun. Am using the PR-3 as well.
Cannot read back CVs properly in Bluelines. Using 2 decoders just makes room for so many problems.
Jim

rustyrails

Hey, Gang,
The NMRA has a set of standards that describes how DCC works.  What the NMRA did was let each manufacturer define his own "network"....that is the interface between the cab, command station, booster, etc.  The standards come into effect at the user level.  Every decoder regardless of manufacturer has to respond the same way to commands, and each command station has to put commands on the rails that all decoders understand.  There are standards, too, that specify wire colors, so you always know exactly which wire is the light common return, for example.  Look for the NMRA warrant...there is one on the E-Z Command page on this site.   Not all decoders are equal, but all will respond in a predictable way to the limits of their capabilities on any system.   Just look for the warrant and everything should work.  Hope this helps.
Rusty

Yampa Bob

Perhaps I should clarify my earlier statement. I am not so much concerned about compatibility, I'm sure my EZ Command can change the address of Lenz or any other decoder.

My main concern is uniformity.  For example, I have two AC4400, one with a DH123, the other with a Tsunami.  Both start at the same position on the throttle, are very well speed matched, and are consistent over the entire range of the throttle. This allows me to put them in perfect consist.

Since I don't have the option of adjusting/fine tuning CVs, what I get is what I get when installing decoders.  My 22 DCC locos, with a mix of Bachmann, Digitrax and Soundtraxx are very predictable. Color me lucky, but as I said I have no incentive to experiment.

BTW, I am fully aware that two "identical" decoders might have different responses. With EZ Command each decoder install is a gamble, but so far so good.   8)