News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 version of the large scale 2-6-6-2T?

Started by RRPETE, April 10, 2009, 12:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RRPETE

Does Bachmann have any plans to bring the 2-6-6-2T to On30?

ebtnut

bachmann doesn't announce any future project plans until they are well under way, and then only at major train events (Nuremburg, NMRA show, Narrow Gauge convention).  We've all been waiting several years for an On30 version of the Heisler.  I wouldn't hold your breath on the 2-6-6-2.

El Loco

Man that would be one :o behemoth of a Locomotive in 0n30!

rustyrails

Okay, here's a suggestion.  Both Bachmann and Mantua (Model Power) have 2-6-6-2 locomotives available, so the mechanism is there.  Who's going to be first to kit-bash a superstructure?  I think I'd start with the Mantua loco since it's already a tank engine, and begin by fitting an O scale cab and some detail parts.  Look up some of the Dave Frary articles about HOn30 (HO scale, n gauge track) for inspiration.  Have Fun!!!
Rusty

El Loco

Backwoods miniatures  produces the cab & details to convert the Mantua HO 2662 Mallet into a 0n30 version.  Rather if its correct or not I haven't a clue, But its on their web site. ;)

rustyrails

I just checked out the Backwoods site....how COOL is that!!!!!!!   ;D
Rusty

az2rail

I think that the Backwoods kit does'nt look right. I say this because it is an O scale cab on a HO engine, makes everything else look small. But that's just me, AND it is a option to get a mallet.

I would prefer that Bachmann made theirs, but MMI lists the Unitah, and Sumpter Valley 2-6-6-2's as upcoming engines. When they would be made would is hard to say, it could be a couple of years away. I would bet that Bachmann knows this, and their decision on whether to make a mallet or not could be influenced by that.

Bruce

If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

El Loco

Being the  HO model is half of  O scale, If this was true to 1/4 scale think of how large it would be :o
To think my 22" radius wont support the K-class Mikado loco's .

az2rail

Using the dimensions of the FN3 version, an O scale version would be about 12 1/2" long, 2 1/4" wide, and 3 3/4" high. These are not exact sizes, but should be close enought to get an idea of size.

Bruce

El Loco

Being articulated,  That sure would be one dandy locomotive. A 22" radius might be too tight.

Kevin Strong

Quote from: El Loco on April 15, 2009, 07:30:45 PM
Being articulated,  That sure would be one dandy locomotive. A 22" radius might be too tight.
Not really. A 60-degree curve (what the Uintah locos were built for) works out to 25" in 1:48, so a 22" radius really isn't that out of character. Note also that the Uintah locos were huge compared to the B'mann 2-6-6-2. And, the way the B'mann loco is designed where both sets of drivers pivot, a 22" radius would be no problem for an On30 version. Heck, the 1:20 version reportedly fits around a 24" radius!

Later,

K

renniks

Quote from: Kevin Strong on April 16, 2009, 02:33:26 AM

. Note also that the Uintah locos were huge compared to the B'mann 2-6-6-2.
K

Kevin,

Have a drawing of Uintah artic. #51, which gives total length of 46' 10",10' 7"wide across side tanks and 13' 8 1/2"to top of stack; so if Bruce has figured correctly the Bach version would  in fact be slightly longer.

Eric UK

Geezer

;D
If you would like to see the Backwoods On30 2-6-6-2T
in progress....check out  "Geezers Stuff" on the railroad-line
forum.

Geezer

ooops - Forgot:

"I think that the Backwoods kit does'nt look right. I say this because it is an O scale cab on a HO engine, makes everything else look small. But that's just me, AND it is a option to get a mallet. (AZ2Rail)"

What happens with the Backwoods kit is that you do extensive surgery on the HO boiler, and the boiler is raised up almost a quarter inch in the front.
All the parts for the conversion are brass, and this adds considerable weight to the unit..
New larger domes and S scale air pumps are added. The only parts I re-used were the cooling tanks on top, and the generator.
Also the new pilot assembly is quite a bit larger.

Thanks for letting me butt in....Geezer

az2rail

Well Geezer. I call it input, not butting in.

To all ~ I went to Geezer's post on the on the railroad-line forum, and he has done a nice {no, a great} job of kit bashishing himself a 2-6-6-2T. It is worth the search.

Bruce