News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DECODER QUESTION

Started by BOOGS, April 10, 2009, 05:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BOOGS

BOUGHT A GP40 MODEL 60302 WITH BAD DECODER........CALLED BACHMAN FOR REPLACEMENT AND RECEIVED A 44915.......THIS DECODER IS FOR A DCC READY ENGINE AND HAS 8 POSTS TO BE PLUGGED IN........CAN I STILL USE THIS DECODER ON MY GP40 AND HOW DIFFICULT TO REWIRE

pdlethbridge

If your engine has a 8 pin female plug built in, just plug in the decoder. If not, you'll have to hard wire it.
If thats the case, and your decoder has one end that has 2 rows of 4 pins, this has to be cut off. Keep the wires as long as you can for the install. Grey and orange to the motor, (make sure it is electrically isolated from the frame and and metal near it or you will fry the decoder) Red and black, to the track. Blue is common for both front and back lights, white for the front and yellow for the back. Use 1/16 shrink tubing after you solder your connections.

Yampa Bob

Boogs,
Bachmann service may have sent you the wrong decoder. The decoder in the 60302 DCC Equipped is on a flat PC board.  I don't think there is enough room to use the 44915, but you might try it and see.  In any event the decoder has to have all the wires soldered.

If it doesn't fit, you should call service and get the correct replacement board. If service doesn't have the board in stock, you may have to send the loco to them for replacement.

Regards

I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.