News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thumping Doodlebug

Started by trainmaster971, April 06, 2009, 08:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainmaster971

I recently bought a new Spectrum Gas Electric Doodlebug from an e-bay store that has a significant thump when it is moving.
It sounds like there is something out of alignment between the motor and the counterweight.  I have tried to figure out how to get the body off the frame but have as yet been unable too.  The exploded diagram that comes with it is useless and there are no other directions.
Any help with getting the body off and the posible source of the thumping would be appreciated.
Other than the thump it operates outstandingly.  It will crawl along at a very slow speed with a Bachmann heavyweight observation in tow.

pdlethbridge

The ebay store has a thump in it?

trainmaster971

Yeah, and the doodlebug caught it.  So now it has it also............................ I flunked grammer when I was in high school...............

pdlethbridge

Paul M.

My Proto 2000 GP7 had that problem... I think yours might have a split gear.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

trainmaster971

Paul,
Thanks for the idea.  I watched the power truck as it was moving and noticed that the lead wheel would jump like there was a split gear. However, I managed to get the truck assembly apart and there is no split gear.

pdlethbridge,

Thank you for all of your help. Did not correct the problem but I did need a grammar lesson.

The other ex-sperts out there,

I appreciate your input.......

Mr. Bachmann,
I contacted the service department and they told me that the doodlebug was no longer available so all that they could do was to replace it with something else. If I wanted something else then I would have bought something else. By the way the doodlebug with trailing car is listed on this web site as available.

The service department is sending me a new power truck that I can install. I was under the impression that as this is under warranty that that was the function of the service department.  Yes I did agree to this option as I would like to be able to operate the doodlebug without this problem. Hopefully I will be able to repair it.

pdlethbridge,

Feel free to again correct my grammar..................

pdlethbridge

okay an yu can corect my spelig
Try this link to work on the doodlebug
http://www.2guyzandsumtrains.com/Content/pa=showpage/pid=20.html

the Bach-man

Dear All,
A new version of the Doodlebug was announced and then withdrawn last year. It may yet appear down the road. The "new" one purchased was therefore not new. At some point there may be new parts, but whether or not they'll solve the problem here remains to be seen.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

trainmaster971

pdlethbridge,

Thanks for the link.  Got your e-mail and will get back to you this afternoon. Was running late this morning. I'm at the office now without access to my e-mail.

Mr. Bachmann,

This unit was purchased just before Christmas from an e-bay store. It was received new with the factory wrap still intact. Several others were also offered in new, unopened condition. The e-bay listings stated that they were covered under the Bachmann warranty. For future reference, are items sold through the e-bay stores covered by the warranty?

Back to the thumping:

I totally dismantled the power truck which was quite a project in itself. The gears and bearing points were all checked carefully and the problem may have been found.  The middle gear has a slightly deformed tooth and there is considerable free play in the bearing points
Hopefully, the replacement part, that is on its way, will not have this defect.

Pacific Northern

I purchased a Spectrum Doodlebug last year. 

It sat in the box for a couple of months before I checked the unit by breaking it in.  It took a while before it finally became a smooth running unit but I was more than happy with it's running characteristics.

I did not use the engine for a couple more months.  I then started to use it on a regular basis and not long after it started the "thumping" noise.  The noise started to bet louder every time the unit ran.

I sent it in to Bachmann whose service department called me to inform me the unit was not repairable nor were replacement units available.   I was given a choice of any of the Spectrum DCC ready engines available.
Pacific Northern

trainmaster971

P N,

That is the same reply that I got when I called them about warranty repair.

The problem with that is that I model steam and have no desire to have a diesel. If I wanted a diesel then that is what I would have bought.

They did offer to send the replacement part if I wanted to try to repair it myself.  I received the part in the mail today.  It has a much tighter gear fit then the one that I need to replace. Maybe this will fix the problem.  If it does not then I will just let visitors know my thoughts about it if they make comments about the noise.

This is a very nice looking piece and it will move at very, very slow speeds. It is a shame that Bachmann has taken this attitude in regards to its repair.  The problem appears to be with the ends of the gear shafts. Apparently, the seats are enlarged with use.  Maybe they need a stronger metal bushing on the ends of the gear shaft.

Ben

Pacific Northern

Quote from: trainmaster971 on April 10, 2009, 05:23:03 PM
P N,

That is the same reply that I got when I called them about warranty repair.

The problem with that is that I model steam and have no desire to have a diesel. If I wanted a diesel then that is what I would have bought.

They did offer to send the replacement part if I wanted to try to repair it myself.  I received the part in the mail today.  It has a much tighter gear fit then the one that I need to replace. Maybe this will fix the problem.  If it does not then I will just let visitors know my thoughts about it if they make comments about the noise.

This is a very nice looking piece and it will move at very, very slow speeds. It is a shame that Bachmann has taken this attitude in regards to its repair.  The problem appears to be with the ends of the gear shafts. Apparently, the seats are enlarged with use.  Maybe they need a stronger metal bushing on the ends of the gear shaft.

Ben

I did not indicate that my layout is predominately steam as well.  The replacement unit that I chose was a Spectrum 4-6-0, a great little steam engine.

I was also offered one of the Spectrum Steamers with DCC on Board as well, a 4-4-0. There would have been a surcharge of $20.00 for that unit due to the DCC unit.
Pacific Northern

trainmaster971

I bought the doodlebug because that is what I wanted to fill in my roster.  I have every wheel arrangement from the 4-4-0 up to and including a 2-10-4 and a 4-10-2.  I also have 2 Cab Forwards and a Big boy.  As I am 63 and have been collecting for well over 30 years, I can be selective of what I want and buy. The MTH 4-12-2 would be nice.

I do not want anything other than the doodlebug.  A substitution with some other loco would not do.  Bachmann should honor their warranty by repairing what they sell.  An option they have is to sell a product that does not need to be fixed shortly after it is purchased.

pdlethbridge

Your right about needing metal bushings. It is a common problem with engines of all makes. I have 2 life like BL-2's I'm fixing because of worn parts. Upon opening the engine I found that it was a copy of an athearn unit. I have used all athearn parts to fix all drive wheels as they would not stay in contact with each other because of plastic bushings and gears. These units will get a thick coat of grease before they are put back in service on my brothers layout.