Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Trying to take the body of a GE DASH 8-40CW

Started by Alan, April 07, 2009, 06:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan

First hello

Guys I need some help

I have been and purchased two loco's, both are from the Bachmann Spectrum range, they are both DC, but highly detailed, I want to add decoders to both of them, here is the problem, I just cannot work out how to take the bodies off, the instructions are really poor, and only show a drawing of the loco's in bits really.

The two loco's are

GE DASH 8-40CW
EMD SD-45

Can anybody please help.

Alan

New Railroader from across the Pond

bobwrgt

On the older style you have to remove the fuel tank (2 screws) to get to the screws holding the shell.
On the newer ones you have to remove the couplers to remove shell.

Bob

Alan

Bob

Many thanks for replying

On the model that I have, it doesn't have any screws on the fuel tanks, but it does have two screws that allow the couplers to be removed, but under those is just the metal shell.

The instructions show that the body has a couple of plastic clips, but I cannot get enough leaverage because of all of the hand rails.

I'm lost 

Yampa Bob

Hi Alan,
Please refer to the exploded diagrams.

For the SD-45, remove the coupler screws (#00123). The screws go through the couplers and metal casting, then into the shell.  The fuel tank can be pried off, but only reveals two screws that hold the motor mount which should not be removed.

For the Dash, you also remove the coupler screws, then slide the couplers out of the pockets to free the shell.  There may be a single screw securing the fuel tank, but again removing the tank only reveals the motor mount screws.

The "clips" on both models hold the upper body shell and cab to the lower shell, you shouldn't pry on them. Once the entire shell is removed you can see how the clips are fastened.

Suggest downloading the PDF files for your locomotives. By zooming in to about 600 while viewing in Adobe Reader, you have a better view of the parts.

SD-45 DCC equipped
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/H827X_IS002-DCC.PDF

Dash DCC ready
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/H850X-IS001.PDF

Dash DCC equipped
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/H835x-IS001.PDF

Regards
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

Alan

Thanks for all the help and information Bob.

I'm at work at the moment, but I will check the loco's when I get back, did Bachmann ever make these two models in only DC, which means that I have brought a couple of very old loco's, or have I got a couple that are DCC ready, and a real bargin.

Yampa Bob

My catalogs only go back to 2007, which shows both locos as DCC equipped. Perhaps other members have earlier information. It would help if you advised us of the stock numbers; my error for not asking in my first post.

Look at the label on the box, if it says "DCC Ready", the loco is ready to plug in a decoder. Also the diagram that came with the loco should show the 8 pin socket on a circuit board. 

Of course you will have the answer once the shells are removed.

Good luck.

Alan

Hi Bob

I just wanted to thank you for your help, I have taken both bodies off and they are DCC ready  ;), after fitting decoders in both and testing them the GE DASH 8-40CW runs really well but the EMD SD-45 jumps at everyspeed, I have left it running for around an hour but it's still is the same, I am going to try another decoder, we like lokpliot, and I think the one that I have installed is a old Backmann one, hopefully this will make a difference.

Thanks again.

Alan

Yampa Bob

You're welcome Alan.

For the SD-45 only, if your decoder isn't compatible with Bachmann's noise suppression circuitry, you may have to clip or unsolder the large capacitors on the PC board.

I only use Bachmann decoders in my Bachmann locomotives, so far they have all been plug and play with no problems.

Good luck.