MRC Sound decoder Question and what do people think of MRC Sound Decoders

Started by Robertj668, May 21, 2009, 07:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robertj668

Hi
I just installed the MRC Sound decoder Model #1639 (from my local Hobby shop) in my Bachmann DCC ready steam engine. It was a simple install jut plug it in an go. It worked great for a week and then it stopped working.

Now here is the odd part.  It will make some sounds.  But it will not Chuff, make the whistle or the bell.  But everything else works i.e.
F3 Air release
F4 Coupling
F5 Brake squeal
F6 Conductor
F7 Fire box door open/close
F8 Air pump
F9 Associated loco sound
I cannot use
F1 Bell On/Off
F2 Whistle

I am using a Bachmann EZ Command with F1-F10 only. So F12 which is Turning off the chuff sound I think I cannot do.

Lastly  I curious what people think of MRC in general.  The web site is awefull. However I only paid 85 for this DCC/decoder and only 36 for the 1666 (Sound only) and they sound good.

Thanks for everones input.

Robert

PS I know my Hobby guy Paul (Angelohobbies in Haltom City TX) will let me exchange it since it is only 2 wks old.

sparkyjay31

Man, can you open a can of worms with this question.  The overall opinion of the MRC motor and sound decoders is to get as far away as possible, and stay there.  I have a factory installed one in my Roundhouse 4-4-0, and although the sound is okay, the motor control is terrible.  On the other hand, I have a Spectrum 2-8-0 with the factory installed Tsunami and it is fantastic.  As a matter fact Athearn is releasing all new Genesis and Roundhouse sound equipped engines with the Tsunami, and dropping the MRC decoders.  MRC really needs to do some work on the decoders, as their DCC systems seem to be very good.
Southern New Hampshire around 1920 in HO
NCE Power Cab DCC
Long live B&M steam!

Chris350

I have one factory installed in an Athearn 4-8-4 Northern.  Sound is acceptable, but no where near prototype (it's UP 844 and I've seen and heard her first hand).  The motor control is lousy.  The loco takes off like a scalded cat at throttle 1, and I can't get it to run any differently regardless of how I set the CV's.  top end is way too fast, and it will not creep.  I also had to enable BEMF to get it to run anywhere like I expected (no big deal I do this anyway).   Some of the functions are odd as well, for instance F8 is not the mute switch as normal, rather it cycles the whistles.  THey also appear to only make one decoder, which has a number of optons for chuff, whistle, and bell.
   My choice would be to drop a Soundtrax Tsunami Heavy steam in it's place and will at some point.  The telling point is that Bachmann, Intermountain Railway, and now Athearn are speccing Tsunami as OEM sound/motor controllers for their steam locos.
  I also like the MTH chip.
Chris

OkieRick

I don't know a thing about the good or bad points of MRC decoders and wouldn't begin to bandy words with anyone about them.  As for MRC as a whole - they make fine power packs / transformers.

But...you said

Now here is the odd part.  It will make some sounds.  But it will not Chuff, make the whistle or the bell.  But everything else works i.e.
F3 Air release
F4 Coupling
F5 Brake squeal
F6 Conductor
F7 Fire box door open/close
F8 Air pump
F9 Associated loco sound
I cannot use
F1 Bell On/Off
F2 Whistle

Call MRC or Paul the hobby guy and ask him if these decoders "get lost" sometimes and ask how to set it back to factory defaults. 

My Proto 2000 2-10-2 Heavy DCC with Sound lost it's chuff about two weeks after I purchased it. I noticed it came with a 1" long magnet about the size of a pencil lead.  I called Walthers and a tech asked if I had done any programing on it or had it been possibly taken off track or put on track that had power applied to it. I hadm't done any programing or numbering with my E-Z Command but it was very possible it had been placed on or removed from a track with the controller still applying power.

He instructed me to place the little magnet or Magic Wand on the tender right behind the coal load.  Seems QSI decoders occasionaly lose a sound and powering the loco with the Magic Wand over the reed switch of the QSI decoder and waiting till a voice in the tender said, "Reset" then powering down sets the decoder back to factory defaults.  My chuffs came back and all is well.

Luck-
Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

Robertj668

Thanks everyone
I go to the Hobby Shop tomorrow. This is one of the reason I like to buy locally. I do also shop on line too. But I do lice the personal service. I will post my results.
Robert

ta152h0

when programming
CV49 sound off/on set it to 1 (on)
cv56 chuff volume 1-3  ( 3 being really loud )

interruption of power to the decoder can cause resets

CV125 set to value 1 will restore factory settings

I don't have trouble with the MRC decoders i have bought so far.

r0bert

double click the lights, button 10, double clicking toggles the main sounds on/off

Jim Banner

The Bachmann Message Board Code of Conduct tells us to refrain from criticizing other manufacturers.  I will therefore refrain from giving my opinion of MRC decoders.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Robertj668

Well I went to the Hobby shop and they could not figure it out.  So I called MRC and they are going to try and fix it or repair it. Now after reading the code of conduct I am going to say this part will be made in general.  I was suprised to see that I need to pay postage both ways. 

OkieRick

Robertj668 said:

Well I went to the Hobby shop and they could not figure it out.  So I called MRC and they are going to try and fix it or repair it. Now after reading the code of conduct I am going to say this part will be made in general.  I was suprised to see that I need to pay postage both ways.

You're working with a Bachmann Steam locomotive aren't you?  Yep, thought so.  I can't see where trying to get help for your DCC Ready locomotive's ill decoder - which happens to be a MRC - leads you to send it in for repair.  Wonder how long turn around time is.  I hope it's not 6 to 8 weeks.  My Russian Decapod has been languishing at Bachmann repar for 6 to 8 weeks since I sent it in shortly after last Christmas.  It is DCC Ready also.

Luck-
Rick

Robertj668

Rick
I am just returning the sound card to MRC. I hope it all goes well. 
I am curious what you think about the Russian Decapod?  Does it run well on the recommended 22".  Have you tried it on 18"?  I am thinking of getting one.
Robert

Robertj668

Another Update
I put in the MRC 1639 DCC Sound decoder it worked 2 days and it went bad today.  I am installed it on a Bachmann's SPECTRUM 84013 K4 4-6-2 Pacific. We just bought the engine just 2 weeks ago.  Could it be the engine?  The engine when I first bought it ran fine under normal DC operation.

Robertj668

Final Update
I went back to the hobby shop today and we exchanged the MRC for a Tsunami TSU-1000 Digital Sound Decoder for medium steam. 

Wow what a difference.  The MRC was nice but the Tsunami is awesome!

Thanks for everyones help!

Robert

OkieRick

Quote from: Robertj668 on May 24, 2009, 03:07:05 PM
Rick
I am just returning the sound card to MRC. I hope it all goes well. 
I am curious what you think about the Russian Decapod?  Does it run well on the recommended 22".  Have you tried it on 18"?  I am thinking of getting one.
Robert

I love my Russian. My ovals don't have true circular ends. I have a 9" straight piece of Atlas track at the center of the 180 degree arc.  It worked well on it while I had it. The tender trailed nicely also if my memory serves me well. 

I noticed a puff of smoke coming from the tender one day and sent it in for repairs. It was a Christmas gift not a month old when I mailed it back.

luck-
Rick

Rick