News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

NYC Niagara

Started by FECfan, April 11, 2009, 10:39:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FECfan

I recently acquired a Walthers 90' turntable to eliminate the process of forward/backward activity and I have found an interest in the Niagara, but I just want to know if it will fit on my 90' turntable.  Or does any of the others fit on a 90' turntable? And is the Niagara reliable?
Thanks! ;D

rustyrails

FECfan,
NYC Niagras were well over 100 feet long, in part due to the huge tenders they used.  Hope this helps.
Rusty

FECfan

Thanks for the info, I just need to know if the wheelbase will fit on the turntable

rustyrails

Hi, FECfan,
I don't know how accurate a model of the Niagara you're looking at.  I can only tell you that the New Your Central had to shorten the wheelbase of the tender (hence the overhang in the rear) to get the engine to fit on a 100 ft. turntable.  My guess is that it isn't going to fit on a 90 footer, although I'm not giving up my search to find the actual wheel-base.  Model manufacturers have been known to shorten wheelbases and do other sneaky things to allow their models to operate on very sharp radius curves, so in the final analysis, the only true answer may be to measure the model wheelbase.
Rusty

FECfan

Maybe I should Shoot for something smaller, like a Pacific, is the K4 any good?

rustyrails

FECfan,
The Bachmann steam locomotives that I have personal experience with are the Spectrum 2-8-0 and the 2-10-0.  Both of these are great runners.  I also own a ten-wheeler, but I haven't run it yet....but it is beautiful!  IMHO, the PRR K4 was one of the best looking locomotives ever built.  PRR had over 400 of them, most built in the railroad's own shops.  They ran until the end of steam.  And, perhaps best of all, a K4 will fit on your turn table. 
Rusty