I got the open side United traction Co. trolley - How to change bulbs?

Started by bobgrosh, March 27, 2007, 06:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobgrosh

I got the open side United traction Co. trolley

How do I replace a burned out bulb? One on the front and another under the roof.

Thanks in advance.

B0B

Barry BBT

Bob,

I can help with the headlamps, I've done a few lately, perhaps someone else can help with the overhead lights.

Behind the front facia, you can see a housing which hides the wires from the head lamp.  Pry the housing away from the facia.  You will be able to see the wires and see that they go down through the floor.  Turn the trolley over, you can see the conduit cast into the bottom of the floor.  The top of the conduit can be pried up exposing the wires, usually white and yellow, or green and yellow.  Cut the wires to the head lamp in two different places, so the solder joints you will be doing are in no proximity of each other. 

Go back to the headlamp, try to force the headlamp forward to push the lens out and the reflector will follow.  When this is done the wires can be cut and the bulb and it's leads replaced.  After the new leads are soldered into place (very little excess wire), press the wires into the conduit all the way to the buld housing,  Once everything is snug, replace the conduit covers with a little glue and put everything back in place.

Don't worry about the diodes, they are nearer the contact strips in the center of the bottom of the trolley.

I suspect once the trolley roof is removed, it has two pressure contacts one at each end of the car, the means of replacing the bulb should be fairly evident.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.

bobgrosh

Thanks Barry,

That worked except the cover on the bottom was glued it's entire length, had to cut it away and make a new one.

Thanks.

For future reference.:
The roof comes off easily, three catches on each side, pull out on the side while pressing in on the roof to disengage.

There are little metal contacts at each end to carry the current from the car to the roof, so , there are no dangling wires to contend with. Very Neat. Nice touch there Bachmann.

Once you remove the roof there are a couple tiny screws to remove the center channel.. The two end channels simply pop off when pried up and will press back in place when done. splicing in a new bulb in the top is just a Barry described for the bottom.

While at it , I decided to change to yellow LED's for the interior,
Thanks Barry. I think you saved me from destroying at least one headlight had I tried to figure it out on my own.

B0B

Barry BBT

Bob,

It would seem that an easier method could be worked out for this maddening method.  Wish I could help further, but my focus is elsewhere.

Barry - BBT
There are no dumb questions.