News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

sound for diesels

Started by train with no shame, April 12, 2009, 09:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

train with no shame

what would you reccommend for sound for my diesels .my mistake it is a gp-40 ,and also the sd-40-2 ,ft-a my lionel 0 all have sound .but for the HO .do you buy one for all .or do you install each separate.

train with no shame

and there all bachmann dcc equipped

train with no shame

i have been reading on the search i may have to get tenders or a fake diesel to pull behind .to add sound

Rangerover

I've been considering doing the same, and using a dummy seems to be the most logical way to go. Though the sound decoders are small, it's the speaker that you have to worry about hogging out for in the motorized loco.

Here's a link to soundtrax.

http://www.sodigi.com/sound_only.htm

jward

for reference, here are the sounds you are looking for:
gp40 & sd40-2 use the same engine block and thus sound the same. they both use an EMD 645, 16 cylinders, turbocharged.
the ft uses an EMD 567, 16 cylinder, non turbocharged, also sometimes called normally aspirated or roots blower.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

train with no shame

thanks mr ward and range for you help . i will look further into this

train with no shame

mr ward do they sell these sounds, for these engines . and are they avalible .

jward

one of the sound decoder manufacturers, i think it is QSI, offers downloadable sound files for their decoders. from the samples i heard, they are quite accurate.

soundtraxx offers an EMD 567 decoder that is dead on for any of the f series units, and gp7s and gp9s as well. they also have an EMD 645 decoder which is close but sounds a little off to me. it would be appropriate for gp40 and sd40-2.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

boomertom

Soundtraxx also has the 645 not turbo charged available in the Tsunami series.

I have been curious if anyone has any experience with the MRC diesel sound decoder and what locomotives it might approximate if you are not a nitpicker?

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

Chris350

ESU, Loksound has downloadable sound files.  The hitch? You need access to their programming interface to install them.  QSI may be the same regarding installation of sound files..  I know one can preview Soundtraxx sound files on their website, however, I believe one needs a specific decoder for a given prime mover when using Soundtraxx since the soundfiles are preloaded, and not loadable.  One needs only assign the relevant sound as needed for a specific locomotive.  I have not seen many positive comments with regards to MRC decoders.  Most folks I know of use QSI, Loksound or Soundtraxx.  Digitrax is moving into the sound market but as of yet their offerings are somewhat sparse.  The nice thing about Digitrax, is that it appears that one does not need a proprietary programmer to load sound files.

jward

the mrc sound decoder marketed for the atlas s2 is a very good rendition of an alco 244 engine, which unfortunately wasnt used in the s2/s4. it is, however, an excellent choice for rs2, rs3, rsd5, fa1 or fa2.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

train with no shame

mr ward we re going with the soundtraxx you recomended thanks   mark f

train with no shame

larrys hobbys off 1960 in houston has a 10 x 24 ft layout and use the digitrax dcc unit and the soundtraxx for there sound thanks