Info on Mikado2-8-2 & Vanderbuilt B&O Tender Please

Started by moosemose, April 17, 2009, 10:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosemose

I was given the above Unit & somethings not quite right. Box says it's a U.P. tender? Anyways, coming out by the "Draw Bar" is a Female Plug w/3 wires indicating "Sound"?, but no "Male Plug" is in rear of Locomotive??? I pulled the front of the tender apart & removed the "Board" (2"X1") & Speaker. The boards capacitors are rated @16v.d.c. & the unit has no "On/Off Switch" & only 2 of the 3 wires in Plug are used. I theorize then that it draws D.C. Power from either a Series or Parallel connection with the Locomotives' Motor as the wheels are all Plastic. The "Board" says "Kader 8011" which I find associated with Bachmann so I "Post" for help here. Thank U in advance.   John & Tam

jayl1

SteamGene

Does the locomotive have a fake front coupler?  Do the rear trucks look really short or out of place under the cab?  Is the firebox larger in diameter than the boiler?  Will the locomotive run by itself - without the tender?
If the answers are yes, it appears that you have an old Bachmann 2-8-0 "kitbashed" into a 2-8-2 and matched with a Standard or Spectrum tender.  However, since you say the tender wheels are plastic, it's possible somebody has put a decoder in the Vanderbildt tender that came with the 2-8-0/2-8-2 kitbash. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

the Bach-man

Dear John,
I think Gene is correct- your loco doesn't sound like anything we've cataloged.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

boomertom

Many moons ago, Bachmann had a B&O Mikado that was for all intents and purposes a Reading 2-8-0 that hand a trailing truck and Vanderbilt tender. This would have been made in the mid to late 1970's.

I had both the 2-8-0 and the 2-8-2, in fact I just came across the tender this afternoon. It might make a good water storage car for a early diesel era work train as I recall a work train kept on a siding on the C&) in Covington, Va using a Vanderbilt into the 1960's.

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

moosemose

Thanks guys for all the info. This does have a "Fake" coupler in front, does run by itself & the rear truck (metal wheels) looks right under the cab. The bottom Drivers Cover is factory marked into the plastic "Bachmann". There are a pair of coil springs held on the front position for the leading Truck by a slotted screw. Looking at the current offering I have found a front Truck that may work p/n H11410 as a replacement for p/n 3004 (original) that they say doesn't exist??? I have left several message requests to speak to a "Supervisor" but I think they really don't care as they never have communicated with me. I can't even give them $$$ for "Smoke"!!! I do think 1970's is correct for this according to my friends recollection & the Original Box says U.P. but that was an option as well. I need to know more about the "Sound Board" & how they are "Powered Up". It says on the board "Kader 8011"  which is "Bachmann". It has 3 wires going to a "Uni-Directional Power Plug" but uses only 2 of the wires. This is a "D.C. Motor" as my Layout is. I can bring power to it from wheels, but as the "Polarity" changes, how does that effect the "Board"??? I guess they could use a "UJT" to make it go both polarities???  My understanding is that Sound Boards don't really have anything to do with Direct Computer Control Systems (not dependent upon), but that was the "Factory Girls Excuse" not to talk with me, sending me to a Supervisors answering machine. I guess they don't need my $$$?   John :-[