News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

decoders and sound

Started by akakrak, March 27, 2007, 11:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akakrak

I'm sure this may have already been covered else where in this forum.  I'm want to upgrade 3 locomotives to DCC and sound. My question is this I'd like to go with NCE decoders, but it doesn't look like they sell them with sound, or am I mistaken?  If I'm going with sound would another brand such as Digitraxx be a better choice?  The main reason I'm leaning toward NCE is they sell a decoder that replaces the factory installed circuitboard in my SW9/1200.

Hunt

NCE does not now sell sound decoders. Compare SoundTraxx, Digitrax, LokSound and MRC for your requirements.

Unless you have above average modeling skills, adding DCC sound to a SW9/1200 may be a challenge. Perhaps you should contact Tony’s Trains http://www.tonystrains.com/

akakrak

Thanks for the information. I had just recently heard about Loksound.  Can anybody offer their opinion on quality and their personal experience with Soundtraxx, Digitrax, MRC, or Loksound.  I know most of these manufacturers make sound only decoders also.  Can they be used with the NCE DCC decoders, and would it be worth the extra effort that it would probably require instead of buying one that already does both?

Nigel

With today's LokSound and Digitrax diesel decoder, it makes no sense to go with two decoders.

I strongly recommend that you purchase QSI® sound equipped BLI or P2K switchers, and not try to convert what you have.  It will be cheaper, and they come with a warranty.

Based on your questions, you may be able to install a board replacement decoder, but you need to learn a great deal to tackle sound in a small locomotive.

Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

akakrak

Thank you for the advice. I was trying to figure out where I'd put all that in my little switcher.  I'll probably just go DCC on it and buy a sound equipped switcher as suggested.  The prices I've seen seem close enough to what I'd spend just trying to upgrade it anyway.  Hopefully I'll be able to find one the Milwaukee road colors. ;D

ebtbob

Nigel,

With many of the newer sound decoders,   I will agree that it is not necessary to have two decoders in an engine.   However,   I can give you one example where having two decoders was a hugh advantage.
      On my On30 railroad,  I have two of the MMI K27s.  Out of the box these engines are rated at 26 inch radius,  minimum.   There were 6 to 8 wires,  cannot remember now,  between the engine and the tender because of that joke of a sound system that has been scratched from further production runs by MMI.  The way these wires were installed and basically pinched down on by the tender deck was the main reason for the 26 inch minimum radius as the wire harness was not allowed to flex enough for tighter radii.
       I had the operating decoder installed in the boiler of the engine and a Soundtraxx sound only decoder and two speakers installed in the tender.  Now there are only 2 wires between the engine and tender and I have had both the K27s around radius as tight as 22 inch although I will never have that tight a radius on my On30 railroad.
        All this was before Tsunamis were on the market,  but the guy who did the installation,   Karl,  at Lin's Junction in Lansdale, Pa,  has put a Tsunami in the boiler of another On30 K for a customer and only 4 wires back to the tender.
       One last thought.....to all.....the Tsunami line of steam decoders has quickly gotten a great reputation for sound quality and unfortunately the wonderful control features of those decoders is hardly ever mentioned.   The Bachmann 2-8-0s in On30 as well as HO and my Bachmann light 4-8-2(original run) all have Tsunamis and the control of these engines is the best on both of my railroads especially at slow speeds.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

gardenrail

Don't forget that ESU make a 'Micro' Loksound decoder - 1.1" x 0.4" x 0.2" with an attached speaker 1" x 0.6". That goes easily into a Bachmann On30 Davenport, which is a much smaller loco than an HO SW7.