News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC Equipped Loco on Convention DC Track

Started by brewerbruce, April 05, 2009, 10:52:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brewerbruce

I'm relatively new to the hobby and don't know much about dcc operation.  I bought an Athearn G9001 locomotive off ebay that should have been dcc ready.  As I have read on these forums, a dcc ready loco should run fine on a conventional dc track.  At this point in time, I'm not ready to move to dcc operation.  When I received the loco, it appears it was updated by the original owner to include a sound decoder, as I noticed small non-factory drilled holes in the bottom of the tender.  I'm not sure if it is fully dcc equipped now or not, I didn't take it apart to find out.  When I placed it on my conventional track, the speaker in the tender was working but I got no response out of the loco.  No light, no movement.  This loco was to be MIB, but it looks like it probably was on display for a while.  Other than maybe needing a little oil from sitting around, would there be something with the decoder that is not allowing it to operate?   Do I need to disconnect the decoder to have it run on my conventional track?  If that isn't necessary, could this be a non-functioning decoder?  I do have the rheostat type power supply to this track.  I have no ability to "talk" to the decoder if one has been installed.     

CNE Runner

Bruce - I am, by no means, an expert in DCC. First things first...a DCC-ready locomotive will run just fine on DC. You mentioned that you found a sound decoder? I am going to assume you actually saw this decoder. If so, that means you locomotive has [probably] already been converted to DCC. A DCC-ready locomotive means that the electric motor has been isolated (electrically) and is ready accept a DCC decoder when one is installed. There may be some cutting of wires and possibly the need to add an 8-pin plug...but the difficult work has already been done for you. Since you found a sound decoder, your locomotive is purely DCC. If possible, take it to your LHS or someone who has a DCC layout, and see if it operates. Track power should always be turned OFF when railring a DCC locomotive. After railing your engine, and turning on the track power, you should hear some sounds coming from the locomotive (hiss of steam, start-up sequence, etc). No sound can mean you have bad electrical contact OR you locomotive is not DCC equipped (PS: this only works with sound-equipped engines). A little caution should be taken as DCC operates on full power and if your engine is DCC it may take off like a shot! About the only task remaining would be determining the locomotive's address. Most new locomotives come equipped with #3 as their default address (this isn't always true...but usually so). Some DCC units will read back the address the former owner programmed - and display it on the DCC throttle unit. If #3 won't work, try using the engine's road number. I'm sorry I can't go into more detail...beyond changing addresses, I leave the rest to the experts...I'm sure they are waiting in the wings.

Good luck,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Tim

Bruce

DCC ready means it is set up to receive a decoder, it does not have one.
There are jumpers on the decoder socket to allow it to run on DC.

You will need to determine if it has a decoder, or if the jumpers are missing.

If it has a decoder and you want to use it take the loco to someone who has
a DCC system capable of programming decoders have him set the decoder for analog
operation.  You will need to identify the Mfg as they may not all use the same CV or code
for the change.  If you don't want to use the decoder, replace the jumpers in the socket.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

Yampa Bob

Hi Bruce
If the sound decoder was user installed, the ability to run on DC power may be disabled, so the locomotive will only run on DCC power. You might hear some sounds, but the loco won't move.

As Ray suggested, your LHS or a friend with a DCC layout can confirm this. If this is the case, a CV (configuration variable) in the decoder must have its value changed to enable alternate power source.

You also mentioned having a rheostat controller. You should replace it with a modern transistorized controller. A quality DC controller costs about $35. If your budget allows, you can buy an entry level DCC controller, such as Bachmann EZ Command for about $90.

Optionally, your LHS can probably remove the decoder, and install a jumper board or pins to convert the loco back to DC operation (DCC ready). In fact, if the seller installed the decoder, he should have included the jumper board in the box.

A few options to consider, keep us posted on your progress.

Regards.
(Tim posted just before I did, but I will add this anyway, some might be duplicated information.)
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

brewerbruce

Thanks for all your input thus far.  To clarify from a previous comment, I have not actually seen the sound decoder because I have not taken the tender or loco apart, but considering the sound holes were added and it actually made sound, I assume it was added because I'm fairly certain it did not come with it originally.  Because I bought it off the internet, I didn't want to do a dissection with the risk of something breaking if I was going to attempt to return it.  But as it sounds if I can get it to the local hobby shop or model railroading club, they should be able to test or rest the configuration variable to enable alternate power source.  I did not find the jumper board in the box and I probably won't get it.  The gentleman I bought this from I found out knows nothing about model trains (makes me look like I know it all!)  Regardless if I can get this thing running, it looks like I probably ended up with a greater value loco than I expected.  It might be worth the temporary grief someday.   

brewerbruce

With a little help from the local hobby shop/model railroad club, we were able to find two issues.  First, a wire had broken off the motor.  Second, a SoundTrax decoder had been installed.  Once the decoder and wire was fixed, it was off and running on my track.