Spectrum GE Dash 8-40CW Decoder Question re Mr Bachmann

Started by Rangerover, April 20, 2009, 12:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rangerover

I purchased this loco new, Spectrum GE Dash 8-40CW, and it runs DC however I took the shell off and on the light board is a 8 pin plug and lots of electronic capacitators, resistors, coils, transistors, etc, sure seems a lot of stuff for just the motor and leds. Is this for upgrade to DCC or is it for sound. I would like to upgrade it to DCC. The board # is HB50XP01B if anybody has had experieince with this loco, the directions don't say anything about DCC ready, but it sure looks like it. The motor is definitely isolated when I tested it with my meter. The item # on the box is: 86018

After 4+years finally got the courage to take the shells of some locos to see if they can be upgraded either with sound and especially DCC.

Thank You in advance. Jim

rustyrails

Finding an 8-pin plug means the chassis is DCC ready and you can plug in a decoder with a matching (male) plug to control the motor and lights.  You could also install a decoder that will control the motor and provide sound assuming you can find someplace to put a speaker inside the loco body.  Since you asked this question, I'm guessing that you have no experience with DCC.  You need to browse the web sites of DCC manufacturers and do some reading.  Kalmbach Books publishes an excellent book by Don Fiehmann called The DCC Guide that is suitable for beginners and intermediate users, and I just read a review of a new book by Carstens that sounds good, too.  Check with your LHS for literature.  I hope this helps a little and wish you good luck.  DCC changes the whole complexion of model railroading.  Personally, I like it a LOT!
Rusty

Rangerover

Quote from: rustyrails on April 20, 2009, 12:57:08 PM
Finding an 8-pin plug means the chassis is DCC ready and you can plug in a decoder with a matching (male) plug to control the motor and lights.  You could also install a decoder that will control the motor and provide sound assuming you can find someplace to put a speaker inside the loco body.  Since you asked this question, I'm guessing that you have no experience with DCC.  You need to browse the web sites of DCC manufacturers and do some reading.  Kalmbach Books publishes an excellent book by Don Fiehmann called The DCC Guide that is suitable for beginners and intermediate users, and I just read a review of a new book by Carstens that sounds good, too.  Check with your LHS for literature.  I hope this helps a little and wish you good luck.  DCC changes the whole complexion of model railroading.  Personally, I like it a LOT!
Rusty

I've been using DCC for 4+years and only Bachmann EZ Command. I just buy'em and run'em. However I am expanding my horizons, so to speak, and wanted to delve into CV's and purchased the DigitraxPR3 and loaded the JMRI program about a month ago. I have installed 3 decoders so far even sound with no real problems since I got by the first one.
Yup, still learning but I would like to install decoders I can "play" with, only way I know of learning, on the job training so to speak, something I picked up 45 years ago from military service. Bachmann decoders don't really have many options so I've installed only sound trax, and  Digitrax decoders so far, and I do realize there isn't one decoder that'll work in all loco's. I've been reading about DCC "goody's" for at least 4 years, the good and the bad, biggest reason I stayed away from the technical stuff like installing and programming decoders is the problems I read about on sites just like this. But for what it's worth, of the millions that are sold with seemingly no problems, those that post questions are a fraction of the entire DCC community for help and are people like me who are rather new to venturing in the technical aspect in forums like this to ask questions no matter the experience, better than messing something up. I'm not old enough yet not to learn. But thank you for your response, really appreciate it. Jim

Yampa Bob

Bachmann item #86108 is an older model. Since 2007, possibly before, the Dash has been DCC equipped as item #835xx.

The coils and capacitors are part of Bachmann's noise suppression circuitry. Bachmann (brand) decoders are designed to be compatible with these components, other brands of decoders might not be.  To be safe, suggest using a Bachmann brand decoder.

The resistors are current limiters for the lighting LEDs. This page might help, though the model pictured may not be exactly the same as yours. I question the accuracy of the page, if you install a decoder other than a Bachmann and get erratic operation, then the capacitors may have to be clipped from the board.

http://www.tcsdcc.com/decoderpics/Bachmann%20GE%20DASH/BACHMANN%20GE%20DASH.htm

Many of the installation instructions on the site are submitted by TCS customers, so there may be errors. However, the loco appears to be plug and play, install a decoder of your choice and try it.  My policy has been to use only Bachmann brand decoders in Bachmann locomotives due to the suppression circuitry.

Here are the exploded diagrams for both the DCC ready and DCC equipped versions.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/H850X-IS001.PDF
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/H835x-IS001.PDF

Regards
I know what I wrote, I don't need a quote
Rule Number One: It's Our Railroad.  Rule Number Two: Refer to Rule Number One.

pdlethbridge

Rangerover

Hey thanks men, I will probably change the board out as suggested by pdlethbridge. I plugged in a Digitrax DZ143PS decoder, brand new and loco was erratic for about a foot and the 2 blue capacitors were starting to cook. The loco is still OK, I caught it in time and just pulled it off the program track  and it still runs fine on DC. I'll give Tony's Trains a call and see what he recommends. I think if I change the board out that's in there and install a drop in, there may very well be enough room to get an oval speaker in the screen vent area. There definitely isn't any room anywhere for any speaker in it's present state, though I really don't need another loco with sound, I like the loco and thinking now I might be able to put it in if I change the board.

I both love and curse that darn PR3 and the JMRI program, it's a blessing to change the cv's to more realistic movement and sound, and appreciate both Digitrax and Soundtraxx QSI Revolution programmable sound decoders, great stuff.

I only curse it because of the money I'm spending on sound decoders, but what the heck, good for the economy, bad for my children (having fun spending some of their inheritance)     ;D

I am in the process of adding DCC and sound to a pair of older Atlas F units that pull one of my subway trains. Great runners, each with a stall test of just over 1/2 amp. I isolated the motors and just waiting for the decoders from Tony's. Having a lot of fun and learning a lot, seems I'm at least 20 years behind you guys, thanks for your help, I love this forum!