Wiring Info Mikado 2-8-2 w/ Vanderbuilt Tender U.P./B&O w/ Sound

Started by moosemose, April 18, 2009, 05:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosemose

I was given the above Unit & somethings not quite right. Box says it's a U.P. tender? Anyways, coming out by the "Draw Bar" is a Female Plug w/3 wires indicating "Sound"?, but no "Male Plug" is in rear of Locomotive??? I pulled the front of the tender apart & removed the "Board" (2"X1") & Speaker. The boards capacitors are rated @16v.d.c. & the unit has no "On/Off Switch" & only 2 of the 3 wires in Plug are used. I theorize then that it draws D.C. Power from either a Series or Parallel connection with the Locomotives' Motor as the wheels are all Plastic. The "Board" says "Kader 8011" which I find associated with Bachmann so I "Post" for help here. Thank U in advance.   John & Tam

rustyrails

Are you sure the locomotive is Bachmann?  I ask that because I can find only one Bachmann 2-8-2 and it is neither lettered for B&O, nor does it come equipped with sound.  Bachmann does sell a Vanderbuilt tender lettered for B&O, but it is described only as being DCC ready--which only means that there is some way to attach a decoder.  Sorry I can't be more help. 
Rusty

jayl1

Is it possible that the engine does not have the original tender?  The old 2-8-2 was not DCC ready.  This was the model based on the Reading 2-8-0 with an added rear truck.  If there is no plug on the engine, it is not the original set up.  If the engine runs without the tender it is the old one.  Just a guess on my part - was the box a black Spectrum box or a white or gray one??

moosemose

Tnx. Rust 4 quick response. The unit is in a Bachmann Box & on the "End Flap" is a Label calling it "Item No. 41-545-01" Mikado 2-8-2 & Vanderbilt Tender W/Smoke Union Pacific, which as I say is really a B&O Tender. Watcha think???  

Jay11, The box is "Yellow & White" trimmed clearly saying "Bachmann HO", & Engine # is 2528. No Plug on rear & is NOT DCC as my friend ran it on simple oval for about 5 minutes. John

moosemose

I have looked up "Tenders"& found that this is a "Hicken" style with 6 wheel trucks (2 ea.) & is different in just 2 ways from pictures here. The "Baltimore & Ohio" as pictured is painted on the "Water Tank" & mine is just the Letters B&O in a "Capital Logo" only on the "Coal Bin". Also, the "Cabling" shown features 2 "Plugs" & mine has only 1! On my "Board" the "Plug" wiring uses only 2 of the 3 wires, but there is NO "Polarity" to the "Board or Plug". The "Board" is made by Kader & 8011 is on it. Old (60's) transistor radio wiring on "Board" with NO Ic's. & 2 "Pots" (variable resistors) to adjust something? Is it possible this could by an A.C. powered module, 12 v.???   John

jayl1

Then that's the old - not so great running - engine I mentioned.  The original tender had a plastic "L" shaped piece of plastic coming from the tender that fit into a slot at the rear of the engine.  I'll go back to my original statement - a mis-matched engine & tender.  I believe the lettering on the UP engine was yellow/gold & the B&O lettering was white.

moosemose

Ok Jay 11, so what's Ur guess on the card? How can I find out more & perhaps get it working in some fashion. I already have a "Sound Car" that takes a 9v. battery & uses a "Special Wheel" with a "Brass 1/2 Axel" shaft that "Interrupts" the "Audio" circuit, so if I can find out some "Basics" I can mount it in whatever. I need to look at that "Draw Bar" situation as well & order a new front "Truck" that Tom lost. Right now with the "Board" out I can still run it. Where would U go to find out how this Unit "Should" be "Marked"??? I'm disabled & Tam & I are making this a "Pass Down Family Project" as we both grew up in Rail Roading, my Father was a Conductor for the Nickle Plate Road out of Ft. Wayne, Ind. & started my brother & I on American Flyer while Tam's Father started her on 1/2 "O" gauge but then she's 11 years my Jr.!!!   John 

jayl1

John,

My personal opinion - forget the sound card with this engine.  It will not be DCC ready & making it so would be much work - if even possible.  Check a local shop for a drawbar.  That would connect the engine to the tender (with some effort)  & run it as is without the sound.  It seems your tender came from a newer Spectrum engine.  I would suggest purchasing a new engine when funds permit.  Until you buy a front truck (if you can find one) & spend the time & maybe frustration - you won't have a great running engine.   You cound also give Bachmann parts a call.  The number is on the "contact us" tab on the left.  Call the 215 number.  You need a LEAD TRUCK for the OLD 2-8-0 or 2-8-2 - not for a Spectrum.  It is well documented on this board that emails & the 800 number rarely get answered.

I understand the pass on project but I really feel a better engine would be the way to go.

Hope this helps a bit.  Check out HOYardsale at yahoo groups dot com.  Fairly priced new engines  show up from time to time.

Good luck!
Jay

moosemose

Thanks to Rusty & Jay for all the help & Info. I have pulled the "Circuit Board" & will play with it at the Ham Radio Bench during QSO's. We have lots to do & I would love to pick up some more Steam Engines (NPR Berkshire my Dream) & other items at one of the Auction Sites for sure. For now I want to run down the front Truck p/n 3004 to make this complete & some "Smoke". We also need some sort of "Storage System". The "Board" is a "Homebrew" 4'X8' with a piano hinge folding scheme & wheels to roll it away for the season. All track is soldered & under wired at hinge for good current flow. Not yet decided on rural/city scheme but I think keeping it simple is best for a "Portable Layout". We have a while, the oldest grandchild is 4 yr. old girl with 2 boys due any day, 3 boys 1 girl. Hope I live long enough to play with the kids. Thanks again guys!!!   John & Tam

SteamGene

It's a good idea not to post the same message on two boards.  It only adds confusion.   :D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"