News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

BLI Paragon 2 SW7 and EZ-Command

Started by boomertom, April 20, 2009, 09:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boomertom

I am considering acquiring one of these switchers instead of attempting to install decoders, sound boards and speakers on my own. However, before I invest around $160.00 on such a purchase, will this locomotive operate satisfactorily on the E-Z Command? I seem to recall some threads expressing problems with Broadway-Limited and E-Z.

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

rustyrails

I don't have an EZ Command, but I understand that it has only limited programming capability--address and direction.  While an EZ-C will control up to 9 functions, I'd think there would be certain operations that would require writing to a CV--changing the volumn for example.  If you can get ahold of the ops manual for the engine on the I-net, see if you think you could control it.  This engine, if I remember correctly, got a sterling review from Model Railroader.  The reviewer was especially complementary about the sound quality.
Rusty

OkieRick

I don't know about your switcher but I have a Broadway Blueline Steam Loco w/ DCC & Sound.  It worked ok on the EZ Command as far as changing the address from 3 and is doing ok on my Dynamis system.  Bell and horn react to button 2 and 3 that I know of.  Steam loco sounds work ok.  This was purchased with DCC & sound - not added on.

Rick
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman

the Bach-man

Dear Tom,
I have both Broadway On30 items, and they work fine with EZ Command.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Chris350

I would suggest checking over on the BLI forums.. They are very helpful folks.  There are BLI personnel who read and respond to questions over there.  I suspect that you will have reasonable success with the EZ command, but will miss the extended range of functions and the inability to program CV's.  When you can program acceleration, deceleration, and momentum setting the loco becomes incredibly realistic as it responds to throttle input.

WGL

I have EZ Command & a BLI Heavy Mikado DC with sound, into which I installed a Digitrax DCC decoder, one BLI recommended in the manual for my loco.  I left it on Address 3, because that address was not being used.  F! rings the bell; F2 blows the whistle.  F8 mutes the sounds, but if it is pressed twice rapidly, changes the volume of sound.  Since my Mikado came set to maximum volume, which vibrates in the tender, I use that method to decrease volume.  I chose to connect the decoder so that it would control the lights, so I press F10 to turn them on & off.