Where do people go for Older replacement Part for Engine (Steam, Diesel)

Started by Robertj668, April 21, 2009, 09:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robertj668

Hi everyone. 

I have been looking a some good web sites for replacement parts for my Older (1980's) Diesel and steam.  I am looking for Tyco, Athern, Lifelike and others.  I saw a few web sites a few days ago but did not bookmark them and I deleted my history this morning but I know they exist! why am I doing this, well some engines have sentimental value.

Thanks
Robert

rustyrails

Hey, Robert,
I troll e-Bay mostly. It is amazing what you can find.  Train shows are another good place to look.  It seems there are always dealers with tables full of broken things that can be salvaged for parts. 
Rusty

Jim Banner

I usually go to garage sales and the like for parts for old Tyco/LifeLike/Cox/PlayArt and other train set locomotives.  It usually means buying the whole locomotive, but they are usually pretty cheap.  When I explain that I am fixing old locomotives on a volunteer basis, the seller will usually drop the price or even give them to me.  A lot of these restorations are for fathers who want to give their old trains to their sons, and like you say, there are sentimental attachments involved.

For Athearn parts, just go to the Athearn website (click on the link below)
http://www.athearn.com/

Even when there are sentimental attachments, I usually recommend they buy a new locomotive as well or will give them a good, used, recently serviced one from among the ones donated to our club.  I have heard back from a number of these people and a common story is that the farther/mother and son/daughter have become quite involved in model railroading.  I often hear that in addition to the restored train set locomotive and the better one that I gave them, they have been out and bought several more of the good ones.  The good ones are run the most, but the restored one sits proudly on the layout, ready for use at a moments notice.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Robertj668

I just found one engine on eBay that is Old stock and never used but the road name is Santa Fe. It is cheap it under $10 now I may but is and part the old stuff on the new. I will call that one a kinda refurb As it would mostly be new with a few old pieces on it.
Thanks you guys
Robert

Johnson Bar Jeff

For replacement parts for Tyco, especially old Tyco/Mantua, try:

http://www.yardbirdtrains.com

"Yardbird" also sells through eBay. I've bought a number of items from him. He's an honest, conscientious, and reliable dealer, and I'm happy to recommend him.  :)

Robertj668

To: Johnson Bar Jeff
Wow what a great website! Thanks.

To: Jim 
The Athearn has a lot of  great into too! Thanks

To: Rustyrails:  eBay has been good too.  I wish people would categorize them a bit.  However sometimes you can find some great deals when people just put in the title "Used train stuff" if you look hard you will find some good stuff and save some money too!

grumpy

Try Golf Manor Hobbies . I have been able to get parts there for old Rivarossi locos.
Don

pdlethbridge

I found parts here I couldn't find anywhere else.
http://www.modelrailcraft.com/
I ordered them yesterday and they were shipped today.
JBJ, I just got a replacement motor from Yardbird, great prices, fast  service, and great to deal with.