News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Hiawatha F7

Started by WGL, April 24, 2009, 02:36:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGL

I just saw a video of someone running his Hiawatha F7.  Until then, F7 meant streamlined diesel to me.  Is anyone currently making HO models of these streamlined 4-6-4s?  If sometimes find the lettering & numbering of kinds of locos puzzling.

ebtnut

The Hiawatha 4-6-4 has been done in brass, and I think both it and
the 4-4-2 were done in plastic back when.  Understand that in the steam age each railroad had its own system for loco classes and numbering.  A    4-6-4 was an "F" on the Milwaukee, but a "J" on the New York Central, an "I" on the New Haven, etc.  Actually, most roads also gave the diesels a class type in the transition years, but because diesels were essentially stock models, most fans know them by their manufacturere designation- E-9, F-7, GP-9, DS-109, etc.  FWIW, I think the Milwaukee only used E-units when they went diesel on the passenger trains.   

WGL

ebnut,
Thanks for the information.  I checked Walthers, MBKlein & eBay.  All I found was a Rivarossi on eBay starting at $450!  Walthers being in Milwaukee should have been an incentive for them to offer one.