News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Repowering Metroliner MUs

Started by CAB_IV, March 26, 2007, 10:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CAB_IV

Has anyone had any expierience repowering a Metroliner MU set?

I've gone through alot of trouble but i've managed to gather a set of the first production run locomotives with all wheel drive, as opposed to the later Pan cake motor version. 

I was looking through my walthers reference book, and NWSL sells a motor that appears to be able to fit in the space where the current motor is now.

What should i know about motors as far as strength and speed goes?  I'd like to run a set of 4 Metroliners at a reasonably high speed. 

thanks for your advice.

jayl1

NWSL also makes a Flea - powered truck that may also be useable ($60 retail).  Precision Scale (a brass manufacturer - not the folks in Florida) also makes a similar unit.  These may be an easier option than a remotor job.  I never repowered a unit.  Hope this helps.

CAB_IV

actually, i think the only tough part of remotoring the first run is trying to get the drive shaft attatched to the motor.
It isn't all that different than a Athearn locomotive in the layout that it was made in.    The old motor is just that, old, and so i think NWSL makes a round can motor that will fit in this space.  It also looks like a Athearn SW style motor could fit in it as well.  this is cheaper than buying weird motor trucks that do not look right.

all i want to know is what is more important for overall speed, RPM or amps? while something may turn quickly, if it doesn't have the power to pull the train, its not gonna be any good.  At the same time, the Metroliners were fast commuter trains ( forerunner to trains like the Acela)  and so if the engine isn't making the train go to fast, i'm also out of luck.

here are some pictures of the inner workings of the Metroliner

overall view

Motor compartment

The motor is flat, and would slide into this space.  the metal cover would attach to one lead of the motor, while there is a silver open area in the bottom of the motor compartment that connects to the other end of the circuit.

The unusual gear arrangment of the metroliners.  If you use shims properly, this is a reliable set up, although i suspect a good amount of noise comes from it. Most metroliners have shims under the plastic bearings, but you can remove them, or put them under that large horizontal gear.   apprently this is a unique setup among models in general, so it is reccomended to not tamper with it. I hear this part does not dissassemble and reassemble well.