News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Trackplanning

Started by boomertom, April 23, 2009, 12:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boomertom

I am certain that someone on this informed forum can point the way to a web based source of track plan ideas.

I know that only so much can be done on a shelf, but there maybe some possibilities I am overlooking.

If running in a circle is boring, going back and forth is doubly tiring.

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

rustyrails

Model Railroader (Trains.com will get you there) has a large on-line data base of track plans that have been published in the magazine.  The Atlas site (atlasrr.com) also has a bunch of track plans built with their sectional track. 

Something that will help you avoid the bordom of going back and forth on a shelf is to have the track extend off the shelf into staging on one or both ends. Staging tracks do not have to be permanent, so if space is a real problem, design them to be taken down when you aren't running the layout.  There are LOTS of articles and books that address this issue.  There is a book by Ian Rice called Small, Smart and Practical Track Plans (or something very close to that) that explores staging in very small spaces.  Check with your LHS first or order direct from Kalmbach.

I hope this helps a little.  I am sort of space challenged myself, so I understand your frustration. 

Rusty

Jim Banner

"Shelf Layout" to me means "switching."  And "switching" in turn means "Inglenook" and/or "Timesaver."

more on Inglenook at:
http://carendt.us/microplans/pages/shelf/inglenook/index.html

more on timesaver at:
http://www.uleth.ca/edu/~burnett/trains/Operating/Timesaver/timesaver.html

For many more links, Google inglenook track and timesaver track

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

jward

atlas has a number of layout plans covered in their books, of which previews are available on their web site. they also have a free track planning software you can download and play around with.

http://www.atlasrr.com

i wish bachmann would have a track planner like this for ez track.

that said, i find that i can usually come up with better ideaqs on my own rather than following somebody else's plan. other layouts are nice for inspiration, but there is nothing like designing and building your own.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

CNE Runner

Hi Tom - welcome to the world of big ideas and small spaces. I, too, am relegated to a 12'x30" layout - and, yes, the main operating type is switching. As someone said above switching can get boring...I'm here to tell you it doesn't have to be that way. The first thing to check out is the whole world of shunting (switching) puzzles. My layout has, as its core, the John Allen Timesaver puzzle. With the use of car cars, a die (that is the singular of "dice"), one can have endless hours of fun. Check out http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/ for some great ideas that are English in origin. Europeans have had to contend with limited layout space for years...and have done so successfully. I think I would rather have a smaller, well built and scenic, shelf layout than a huge - never done (or done poorly) room-sized pike.

My current layout is based upon a very small portion of a long demolished NY branchline. I model this line in the year 1889. Motive power consists of two Bachmann Spectrum American 4-4-0s and lots of custom built (by me) Roundhouse cars (plus an ever increasing number of Bachmann, Mantua, Pocher, and AHM items). There are times when I just want to run cars without the stress of beating the clock. Other times I relish the cognitive exercise that comes with solving a puzzling switching problem with the least moves and in the least time (staying within the rules of course).

Still another option is to occasionally change the era your layout is in. With a change of buildings and motive power (+ updated rolling stock) the whole flavor of your little world changes. Every once in a while I bring out my Atlas MP15DC and pretend my branchline didn't go out of business in the 1920s; but soldiers on into the 21st century - albeit with older hand-me-down equipment. See?..anything is possible - it only takes an active imagination. I firmly believe it is imagination that compels us to play (oops, I mean operate) our railroads.

If a shelf layout will get you out of your chair and into running trains...go for it! Take a close look at shunting puzzles. Keep in mind that anything you build could become part of a larger layout in the future. Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

boomertom

Ray,

Irecall a plan in Model Railroader several years ago on a modern shortline that would work reasonably well in this space as it suggested two switchers one working one end of the area and then the crew switching to the other to work the other.

Due to some other utilization of the area I have available I will  have to build high - 58 to 60 minimum.  This gives me some qualms about accessibility for uncoupling cars and throwing switches.

By the way, I can stretch out 16' in length but due to the height might need to stick with 2' in width.

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

ebtnut

Something else you might consider is going to the NMRA website and looking up the Layout Design Special Interest Group (SIG).  They publish a (semi) regular magazine on layout designs and design theory. 

Hollysman

You might also try a free download from www.anyrail.com. It holds an impressive library of different track manufacturers. I used it to plan my last layout, but on the free version it will only allow you to lay fifty pieces of track.

renniks

Quote from: Hollysman on April 25, 2009, 09:15:29 PM
  You might also try a free download from www.anyrail.com. It holds an impressive library of different track manufacturers. I used it to plan my last layout, but on the free version it will only allow you to lay fifty pieces of track.

Would think that it has just about every track system on the market from N to G scales.
         A length of flexitrack counts as one piece so you can do quite a lot with the free version. You can also design a layout in parts that include station tracks and sidings and save them. No need to include the 'country' track that joins them. No  worries about exact lining up of turnouts at each end of a yard as you can connect with stretchable,curvable flexi.
         It is also great for designing mini-layouts as you can mix track from various scales : 9" N scale curves and HO turnouts for an On30 mini as an example.
         I liked it enough to buy the complete version -- have 'wasted' a few hours trying out various yard formations as a break from other activities.
         If you also have Train player/Track Layer you can directly import the Anyrail files and run virtual trains to test your efforts for operation.

Eric UK

boomertom

I would like to thank everyone for there input on my question regarding track planning.

I believe that I have come up with a solution to my problem that fits in with my prototype interest in the Clinchfield and C&O, both of which were closely associated with coal.

A few years ago, MR did a brachline for the Turtle Creek Central that served a kit bashed New River Mining Company. This was basically a 2' x 6' extension, I can utilize approximately 2'x14' so I can probably include a truck dump.

A mine near Elkhorn City, KY actually shipped on both the C&O, on which it was physically located, and the Clinchfield. Next comes the task of designing a workable track plan which my prove to be some what more complex than it would seem at first glance.

I think that this should provide adequate opportunities for both operations and detailing to keep my interest up for a few years .

Tom
Tom Blair (TJBJRVT68)

jward

i am currently in a similar situation to you. my available space is about 10' along one wall, and 4 1/2' along the other. have you considered having two seperate "towns" connected by a switchback? i am torn between this idea, and using the 4 1/2' area for a turnback curve to get to the upper level.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA