dcc and sound equiped locos run on standard dc analog systems?

Started by jimlat, May 02, 2009, 08:54:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimlat

i have a question for anyone out there who might be able to help. will bachmann spectrum dcc and sound equiped locos run on a standard dc analog ststem? and if i do run them will i ruin the engine? also, would i have to make any modifications? i have asked a few dealers and hobby shop owners and get many different answers. i like the spectrum line and have always bought dcc ready locos and had no problem. but now i find that the prices are not far apart from the dcc/sound equiped locos by bachmann. but i'm a little hesitant because i'm not sure if they will run on a analog dc system.  thanks to anyone who can help!

richG

Yes you can. I told you this in the MRR forum where you asked the same question. Go to the SoundTraxx link I gave you there and download the Quick Start Guide. The instructions are in the PDF document. I will include the link here just in case you have not looked at that posting. If all else fails, follow instructions.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/index.php?p=manuals.php

The only downside you might say, is the motor will buzz and it tends to be a little hard on the motor and the buzz can be annoying. Even if the loco has stopped, the motor will still buzz. If you park the loco it is a good idea to switch off the power to the siding where the loco is sitting.

Good luck.

Rich

Jim Banner

jimlat, if you went to Rich's link and downloaded the quick start guide, you were probably as confused as I was.  It contains NO reference to operation on dc.  I am sure Rich meant the "Tsunami Quick Start Guide for Bachmann Spectrum Models" down at the bottom of the page.  Here is a link that will take you directly to that document:

http://www.soundtraxx.com/manuals/Bachmann%20Quick%20Start%20Guide.pdf

What you will read (along with a lot of other interesting stuff) is "The decoder is set to operate immediately using either a 12 volt DC power pack or NMRA-compatible DCC command station."

Don't worry about the motor buzz Rich mentioned.  That only happens when you run a locomotive without a decoder on a DCC track.  Your decoder equipped locomotive will not buzz on a dc track.  And you will not have to worry about shutting track power off when you park your locomotive.  That is how you stop a locomotive that is running on dc - you turn the power down to zero.  Or to put it another way, if you try to park your locomotive with dc power still on the track, it won't stay parked very long.

Bottom line, you can run a Tsunami equipped Spectrum locomotive on a dc track with no problems and no worries about ruining either the locomotive or the decoder.

Jim

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

richG

Sorry, I should have said Page 9 of the Quick Start Giude has the DC instructions. My Bad.

Rich

OkieRick

If you update / upgrade using Soundtraxx Tsunami:

Note that a Bachmann with DCC Onboard that is Tsunami converted to add Sound will need CV29 set to a value that will allow both DC and DCC control of the locomotive. 

Rick
-
Invacare 2-2-2 TDX5 Tilt Recline & Elevate - 24v - ALS Head Control
God Bless Jimmie Rogers the Singing Brakeman