News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound for GE 70 Tonners

Started by willrupe, April 25, 2009, 10:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willrupe

Dear Bachmann:  I am the proud owner of a pair of GE 70 Tonners I am  just delighted with them. I did notice that the coupler shank which came with these engines was way too long for realistic appearance. I installed the shortest shank couplers I had in my spare parts box. The locomotive footboards are now a realistic distance from each other yet still navigate the tightest industrial spur on the  club layout with out touching each other.         Two minor weaknesses have made themselves apparent. (1) The headlights at one end of the engine could be a little bit brighter. Is there an easy fix?  (2) I admit that they are a bit noisy however and wonder what can I do to quiet down some of the noise I hear?  If sucessful in this endeavor; I would then like to add sound to these very good running models.       Do you have plans to produce a decoder to fit this engine with sound capabilities built in to it?        (FYI) I ran these two locos today on a 15 car plus caboose coal drag on the club layout. I purposely chose to run the train against the steepest grade on the mainline. The train never stopped moving in this stretch but did slowly but steadily climb the hill between Galt and Newton.  These tracks are located in a cut so I was not able to observe whether or not wheel slip existed. All in all; a really nice product but it does need sound. Yours, William Rupert

the Bach-man

Dear Will,
The loco should quiet down as it breaks in. Give it a light lube with plastic-compatible lubricants and run it at moderate speeds in both directions.
I'd like to see sound too; hopefully we'll have it down the road.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Chris350

If you don't want to wait, you're best bet may be Loksound.  They make a couple sizes of decoder, and a range of speakers that can be stuffed just about anywhere on a small loco.  The decoders can be loaded with customized sounds.  It does take a special interface to do it, but most loksound dealers have access to the programmer.  Locomotive control parameters are programmed normally.