News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Got my first steam engine

Started by BestSnowman, April 17, 2009, 08:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: CNE Runner link=topic=9071.msg74983#msg74983Unfortunately diesel power was quite rare in 1889. If it weren't, there is a GP38-2 (with DCC + sound) that would be lettered for the N.D.& C.

Well, Ray, remember Yampa Bob's rules for the Yampa Valley Railroad:

Rule #1: It's our railroad.

Rule #2: Refer to Rule #1.

:D  ;)

jdvass

Quote from: Pacific Northern on April 22, 2009, 08:05:43 PM
Quote from: jdvass on April 18, 2009, 04:24:11 PM
Welcome to steam!

I bought my first steam engine about a month or so ago at our local train show. I picked up a mint Spectrum 4-6-0 in HO lettered for Canadian Pacific. It was used but in mint shape and I got it for $85.00 and this included a DH123 decoder!  :D

I got it home, put it on the layout with all my diesels. I kind of liked all the details, and all the moving bits and pieces looked cool. My wife thought it was cute.

One month, 5 more steamers, a planned addition for a steam service facility, and, a Walthers 130 foot turntable later, :o my wife doesnt think it's cute anymore  >:(. But I'm hooked. Steam and diesels get along just fine!

But now I'm off to buy some jewelery.  ::) Gotta keep the peace you know.

YAY STEAM!  ;D ;D

I noticed in a magazine ad some time ago that Bev Bel has painted a number of Spectrum steam engines in Canadian roadnames. Last ad was for the Shay decorated with CPR markings. At least that is to prototype as CP had a Shay stationed in Nelson BC for a few years.

You do know that the Spectrum 4-6-0 is available in both a 57" and a 63" drivers version? They are super little engines I have a couple of each and am facinated just watching the valve gear move.  The best puller of all of the Spectrum is their 2-8-0 another great little engine.

My 4-6-0 has the 63" drivers. I agree, it's a super little loco and sure looks great running. CP did also have some 4-6-0 D9c Tenwheelers.

They had 21" X 30" cylinders with 63" drivers.They ran a boiler pressure of 190 psi and gave 34,000 lbs. tractive effort with 160,000 lbs. on the drivers. There were both oil and coal burners. they carried 5,000 gallons of water and 2,500 gallons of oil or 10 tons of coal. A few of them stayed around right up to the 1950's. That shows what great loco's they really were.

I now realize I was born fifty years to late. It would have been great to get to watch these great locomotives doing their thing. Oh well, at least I can watch them in miniature.

Michigan Railfan

Quote from: BestSnowman on April 22, 2009, 09:20:45 PM
That would make an interesting trip if I ever make it up to Michigan, too bad they don't have a schedule other than when the boss is in a good mood on weekends. My son would love a ride on a steam engine, especially if daddy has the one "just like it"

Well, I went there about 3-4 years ago, maybe the schedule has changed. They also have a small gift shop there, a pretty big HO layout, passenger and frieght cars, and more engines than just 1225. But I just remembered that the tour guide told us that it was saved from scrap because some guy liked its christmas number(12-25, christmas, ya know).

Quote from: jbsmith on April 22, 2009, 11:59:35 PM
Here BE a website link that is all about the Pere Marquette RR!

http://www.pmhistsoc.org/

from the same site as above,,a map of the PM routes

http://www.pmhistsoc.org/maxpmmap.shtml

Those links are pretty neat. And, it said the citys name 1225 was in. Owosso, that's been bugging me for the past 3 or 4 years because I couldn't remember its name.

CNE Runner

Hi Jeff - well said...well said. I will consider myself properly chastised ('better coming from you than Bob).

Cheers,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Eryalen

Quote from: uncbob on April 18, 2009, 08:43:29 AM
The PRR museum in Strasberg PA has a NP Berk on display outside
Unfortunately the weather and the birds are not kind to it

Such a shame!

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: CNE Runner on April 25, 2009, 07:27:28 PM
Hi Jeff - well said...well said. I will consider myself properly chastised ('better coming from you than Bob).

Cheers,
Ray

Oh, please don't consider it chastisement. The suggestion was offered in the spirit of my own childhood memories of running a Civil War wood burner on one track of a double-track loop and a 1950s F-unit on the other, and not thinking anything of it. Sure, I was just a kid at the time, but, hey, it was all trains, and it was all good.  It's your railroad--your world.  Run what makes you happy, I say. :)

Please note, folks, I'm not saying a word against prototype modeling. Clearly there is a place for that, for those who derive pleasure and enjoyment from it. More power to them.  :)